1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to resign when on maternity leave?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ella100, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I am on maternity leave and I aready know that I don't want to return to my job, I am in fact relocating overseas with my husband in the next couple of months.
    My 6 months ordinary leave will be up in June, however I could in theory be off until December if I took the full 12 months. My question is, when do I tell my school about my resignation?
    I imagine it is best for them to know asap, however does this mean I effectively resign from 31st August and lose the SMP from that date? Obviously I know that I will lose the 12 weeks of half pay, and want to minimise my loses.
    Alternatively should I write a letter saying I want to take the full 12 months and then resign?
    Or should I say I want to take 9 months (until the end of SMP) and then resign?
    I am on good terms with my school and want to do what is best for them as well as me.
    All advice welcome!

2. I am on maternity leave and I aready know that I don't want to return to my job, I am in fact relocating overseas with my husband in the next couple of months.
    My 6 months ordinary leave will be up in June, however I could in theory be off until December if I took the full 12 months. My question is, when do I tell my school about my resignation?
    I imagine it is best for them to know asap, however does this mean I effectively resign from 31st August and lose the SMP from that date? Obviously I know that I will lose the 12 weeks of half pay, and want to minimise my loses.
    Alternatively should I write a letter saying I want to take the full 12 months and then resign?
    Or should I say I want to take 9 months (until the end of SMP) and then resign?
    I am on good terms with my school and want to do what is best for them as well as me.
    All advice welcome!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

4. That is helpful thanks tafkam. To clarify, does this mean SMP is still paid even if I have resigned??

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Unless you take up another job, then yes.