1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to potty train?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by laura lou, Jul 3, 2011.

1. My little girl is 17 months. Is potty training a long way off? I was wondering whether to start casually showing her a potty and giving her more naked time over the summer hold. She's now aware if when she wees; when she has her nappy off she squats, wees and giggles. Is this a sign, or is she way too young. We have another due November, so want to do it at a time not at all associated with baby no 2, as I don't want her feeling stressed by it at all. Any advice welcomed!
    X

2. Hi laura- as you know we're in exactly the same boat and LO is really showing a lot of signs of being ready- tells us when she's weeing/pooing, doesn't like a dirty nappy on and will try to get it off or ask to be changed (in her own little way!) If I wasn't having another baby in September I'd start training her in the summer holds but I read in a book that you shouldn't do it three months before or after a new baby comes. MIL who has 4 children said that even if we'd managed to get her trained or well on the way, when the new baby comes she'd revert back to nappies anyway to be like the new baby. I ahve read a lot of stuff that says the older child regresses a little when there is a new baby around- attention probably. Anyway i figure that if we leave it until she is really really ready and not just showing signs of being ready, it'll only take a weekend to train her (happened to two f my friends with their little girls!) hope that helps!

3. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Wow, can't believe how much of a difference there is between boys and girls. My LO shows absolutely no signs of being ready and I am not planning to potty train before next spring/summer when baby no 2 will be at least 6 months. There's no way I could catch his poos now anyway, as he does them while still eating! I like the idea of having a potty around though and might get one well in advance.
    x

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son is just 2 and my daughter 7.5 weeks and i don't think my son is ready. It would've been nice if he'd been potty trained when his little sister arrived, but it just wasn't going to happen.
    He knows when he poos and has done for a long time, he always goes off and hides somewhere to do it, but i have no idea if he knows he needs a wee or not.
    We have a potty that we keep around...it came in handy a couple of weeks ago when he was sick! He also follows me to the loo, and points at it, but is more interested in standing on his step by the sink and brushing his teeth.
    I was speaking to a woman in the queue in Mothercare the other week and she was saying her daughter had just toilet trained at 3, and she waited until she was ready, and it took a week. She said there's no point trying to force it otherwise it takes months and a lot of 'accidents'!

5. This may be totally bonkers, but my Mum advised me to get a potty as soon as LO could sit up well for a decent period of time. Then, whenever I spotted her 'poo face' (you can't miss it!) to whip her nappy off and sit her on it. I was really sceptical, but it works! She is nearly 10 months and I have now started sitting her on it immediately after meals for 5 or 10 minutes (with some books or a bit of Cbeebies!) as this is usually when she does a poo. She seems to find it much easier pooing in her potty, after all it can't be that comfortable doing it sat down with a nappy on.
    It doesn't work every time but we've had a few wees and poos in it, now my Mum has her 2 days a week while I'm at work and she's really going for it! I went to their house for lunch today and she asked me why I hadn't brought the potty with me! I think we'll stick to home for now, but as she's pretty regular I hope to be able to get fewer and fewer dirty nappies.

6. My lo is 16 months and I'm planning to do lots of naked time over the summer and just see what happens. I know a lot of children aren't anywhere near ready, and I'm not going to put any pressure on either of us. My eldest was completely out of nappies by the time she was 2, but it's so long ago that I don't really remember what we did. I would imagine it involved naked time and praise when the potty was used successfully but no pressure if accidents happen. She does like naked time now, and knows when she's had a wee or a poo (surprisingly poo is easier to deal with on the floor than it is in a nappy, as it doesn't get squashed everywhere). She even goes to get something to wipe the wee up with, now all I need to do is make sure she knows to get a nappy (cloth) rather than her clean clothes[​IMG]

7. Thanks for all the advice and different experiences, it's really helpful. We'll get the new bed out of the way and then see how that goes down befor starting any other new stuff I think!
    x