1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to move...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lr144, Mar 14, 2016.

1. lr144

lr144 New commenter

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place. I just wondered if anybody had any tips? I'm hoping to purchase a home soon (just need to find one). In the meantime I will be moving into a spare room. I've been at my school for a while and I love it but I'm feeling under pressure to move for CPD reasons. I'm just not sure doing everything at once is the best plan. I also only have a rough idea of where I hope to move to. Anybody been in a similar position?

Thanks for your time

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Personally I'd always recommend getting a job you want to stay with for a while before buying a house, in case the two are too far apart.

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Trying to redecorate a new home when in the middle of teaching is ridiculously stressful, I've been there! Try and move either somewhere that does not require much redecoration or do it in the Summer holidays.

I would agree with FW, get the job first as you don't want to end up stuck with a commute from hell every day!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Agreement from me here as well. Get the job first.

Choose a fab location, where you would be happy to live.
    Get yourself an excellent job in a lovely school.
    Buy a house!

Good luck, sounds like an exciting time ahead for you.