1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to leave?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by celago22, Feb 9, 2019.

1. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Hello,
    Just after some advice/thoughts. Having a really tough time at the school, Head is bullying and I just went to get out. Do I hand my notice in next week (so before half term) or after HT? I know the deadline is 28th Feb to leave at Easter but when would be best in terms of the consequences?
    Thanks.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Are you certain you will leave at Easter?
    If so, hand in your notice as soon as you can.
    If you aren't sure, wait until you are and then hand your notice in.

3. celago22

Definitely want to leave at Easter as need a fresh start and need to get away from the bullying culture. Just don't have a new job to go to.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

The last day to hand in your resignation is February 28th which is a Tuesday this year so a school day. It doesn’t have to be before half term. Why don’t you take half term to think it over?

5. walterb85

walterb85 New commenter

Sorry to hear that you are going through this.

For different reasons I left my previous post a few years ago. For me personally, it was the best thing I did. I took some time off, joined supply (which I have loved - you get all the good parts of the job, without the evening and weekend work - win win!) and found time for myself, which I didn’t have previously.

If you know, and only you will, that this is what you want, hand in your notice and take a deep breath. As soon as you do it, you’ll feel so much better.

I would say, before you definitely hand it in, have you spoken to anyone else about how you are feeling? In the past I’ve always found the union very helpful in giving advice and to be very supportive. It is always worth getting their perspective on the situation.

Whatever you choose to do, remember that this is just a job. Your health and happiness must always come first.

6. celago22

Thanks for the advice. I could wait until after HT I guess. I will have a think. The rest of my time there is going to be a living nightmare anyway.

7. celago22

I think it is the right thing to do. Just worried about securing a job between now and end of April.