1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to hand in resignation?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrGundam, Apr 22, 2019.

1. mrGundam

mrGundam New commenter

Evening all, hope you enjoyed your Easter break.

Just before the end of term I interviewed for a job in the independent sector which I was successful in. I accepted the job and was sent through various paperwork.

The formal job offer letter is worded along the lines of the job being subject to the following: 2 satisfactory references, DBS, criminal record check, medical fitness for role, safeguarding training, prohibition from teaching check and disqualification by association check. All of these should be no issue.

I completed and signed all the forms and returned along with a letter accepting the position.

Do I now hand in my notice at my current school, or do I wait for some form of contract? I presume the verbal / written offer itself forms a contract but thought I would check just to be sure.

Thanks

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Don’t know about the indie sector, but in state contracts aren’t given until a period after commencement

To be honest, I think you’ve got enough confirmation there to allow your current employer to move forward with your replacement. You’ve only got a few weeks anyway.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Soft resignation. Let your line manager know that you've accepted another job, are awaiting processing and expect to hand your resignation in when all is confirmed. Don't miss the deadline though ;)

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think I would wait for the confirmation that the references are satisfactory. After that, there seems to be no point in waiting. The paperwork you have is proof of a contract.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In most schools the actual contract document (or "Written statement of employment particulars") isn't issued until after you have started - employers have up to 2 months after you start to give it to you. The written offer and your written acceptance form the contract and are the evidence that it exists.

JohnJCazorla, Pomza and agathamorse like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In your other thread, started today, you mention you are coming back to the UK from an international school. Check there for your resignation deadline, it might not be as late as you'd expect.

Most people hand their notice in as soon as they have the offer in writing, certainly if all the checks will have no issues at all.

7. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Can't you contact the new place and ask for an email confirming your new job as soon as all checks have been done, as you wish to resign and allow your current Head as much time as possible to recruit?

Piranha likes this.
  8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You can tender your resignation now seeing as it is all confirmed that you have been offered and accepted a new position. If you know you will pass the checks, then you have nothing to worry about and there should be no reason to retract your job offer.
    As a HT, I always appreciate when a member of staff informs me that they are leaving as soon as they know, rather than waiting until right up to the deadline so that we can recruit for the vacancy.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My only concern here is that sometimes people whose job offer was subject to references have had it retracted because of an unexpectedly bad reference. So, I don't think one can be certain that the job offer will stand after references.

This seems like a good idea, making sure of course that you don't miss the resignation deadline.