1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to give up?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissraw, Jun 23, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Should I have already started looking for jobs outside teaching yet or should I hold on another week or two in the hope something will come up? If they haven't advertised yet I'm guessing they won't? I hope you'll say I'm wrong...
    I know I'm not alone but its so disappointing to have had such a short lived career... ah well back to the old one I guess (if they'll still have me) [​IMG] least I get to go to TES awards so not all doom & gloom lol. x

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sort of assuming,if they haven't advertised by Fri. of this week, there won't be any posts & that would be late in view of notice having to be handed in by May 31st!
    I've just looked at a couple of TA posts, but decided not to apply as by the time I'd factored in petrol costs only 11 hrs a week probably wasn't worth it at this point -next Dec with no supply I might feel differently. But I shall have to start looking at other posts next year.

3. In the same position, i have had too many interviews since I graduated in 2009 and have only completed one term nqt and I am finding myself beginning to get more and more depressed - at times I am ashamed and I feel worthless.
    I went into the job centre last week to sign on as i have used all my savings this year whilst there has been no supplywork and felt even more embarrased and worthless as the person interviewing me, was a girl I taught during my pgce, two years ago !!
    Its back to the drawing board for me, as Teaching obviously isnt meant to be, although that is what I am meant to be!

4. littlemissraw

Aww sorry to hear that lamppost that must have been heart breaking. I also qualified in 09, guess it just isn't our time... Any idea where you'll look next ? x

5. Well I am at the moment based in the north east ( like you I think !) so I think i may have to do a dick whittington back to london as i worked in the arts for a long time before teaching, but again its going back cap in hand to the theatre managers I trained up from apprenticeship and asking them to take me on as their deputies!
    oh life aint easy, I wish I could just get a post for two terms to finish this NQT malarkey off, I am already on my extension where supply teaching is concerned so that is out the question now as well!
    But hey I cant complain, there are people worse off than me and I have to be grateful for what i have got!

6. littlemissraw

Yeah I know what you mean [​IMG]
    I'm NW. Would also love to finish NQT. Still deciding whether to just expand my business and hope it will pull an income or just get a salaried position doing something.
    Good luck with the job hunt xx