1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to give up hope....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by stumigoo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ...in life? Actually its not that serious, but I was wondering, what time scale should be applied between the closing date of a post and hearing back about your application? This may already have been asked thousands of times before, and if so, I do apolgise, but I applied for a post with a closing date ten or so days ago, and I am wondering if it is about time to admit defeat. Saying that I don't think I have ever been so keen to get into work before, it definitely has helped my productivity in school over the past week as I can only get access to my work email at work, and I rush (amble) into work every day just now, hoping that I have an email. No luck so far though.
    Ten days enough? Or do I hang on to hope for another few days?

2. ...in life? Actually its not that serious, but I was wondering, what time scale should be applied between the closing date of a post and hearing back about your application? This may already have been asked thousands of times before, and if so, I do apolgise, but I applied for a post with a closing date ten or so days ago, and I am wondering if it is about time to admit defeat. Saying that I don't think I have ever been so keen to get into work before, it definitely has helped my productivity in school over the past week as I can only get access to my work email at work, and I rush (amble) into work every day just now, hoping that I have an email. No luck so far though.
    Ten days enough? Or do I hang on to hope for another few days?

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I would say that it is virtually impossible to generalize. Some outfits have a hard closing date and a well-established recruitment time line (like that big outfit in Hong Kong) while others appear to have a closing date only because it is the done thing, as the same jobs seem to pass and be re-posted some time later on.
    I would say 10 days is not the time to abandon all hope. I do sympathize. I have interviewed and am awaiting my fate. It's going to be a very long week (or so).

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I've just had a response from a school whose closing date was the 6th January, so very difficult to tell!

5. arewethereyet

arewethereyet New commenter

Usually I'd be giving up hope after a week, and def by 2 weeks. However, I've just been asked for an interview for a post that closed a few weeks ago. So it really seems there is no knowing. Saying that I am assuming I wasn't the first choice.

6. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

To add to what others have said, I have been contacted before the posted deadline to be invited for interview; and with other jobs I have been told they will contact me to arrange a convenient interview time and then never heard anything again! You may hear shortly or in a few months or never! Best to carry on as if it isn't successful then be pleasantly surprised should you ever hear from them. I appreciate it isn't always easy!