1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

When to give notice?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by chat_noir, Apr 5, 2020.

  1. chat_noir

    chat_noir New commenter


    I have recently been offered a new job. I have had the offer of employment letter through. This includes details of pay etc and a slip to sign to say I accept the job.

    I was wondering if this is enough to give notice to my current employers? Or whether I should wait for the proper contract to come through?
  2. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    You are unlikely to get the full "contract document" that you have in mind until shortly before the start date of the new job. Employers used to have to issue the so-called 'Statement of Employment Particulars' within one month after you started work so it often didn't arrive until long after you had started a new job. From tomorrow, 6th April 2020, the law is changing and you must receive it on or before the first day of employment. More details here if you are interested.

    But there's no need to worry about getting that document. In law once the employer had made you a job offer in writing and you have accepted it in writing that is the legal contract. The contract comes into force as soon as they receive your acceptance. You don't need a separate "contract"/Statement of Employment Particulars document for the contract to be valid. That document will give a bit more information but the contract exists whether it has been issued or not.

    Obviously you only accept if you are happy with the offer (does it give you the salary in ££,£££ for example?).

    Is this a state school or a private school you are going to? Be aware that several people have posted here saying that they had formally accepted job offers and resigned their old job but then the new school had withdrawn the offer because of coronavirus. They'd decided they didn't need so many staff presumably. Technically that is breach of contract by the school but in practice there's little the teacher could do about it. I'd think that's only likely to happen in private schools facing a fee shortfall as state schools funding continues as normal, but you can never say never.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Piranha likes this.
  3. chat_noir

    chat_noir New commenter

    That’s really helpful, thank you so much. I was just getting a bit twitchy in thinking that the new school might back out (I’m not sure why exactly, just me being paranoid) so I wondered if it was best to wait.

    It is a state school and I know that they need someone with my subject specialism quite urgently so hopefully that gives me a bit more security.

    I’m quite keen to give my notice well before Whitsun to give my current school the best pool of applicants.

    Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
    Piranha likes this.
  4. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    I was about to offer advice, and then saw that @Rott Weiler has said it all. I would comment that it makes a change to hear about a job offer made properly with pay etc in writing; we have seen too many posts from people who were not given these details and then had a nasty surprise. I think you are safe in doing the decent thing and resigning well before the deadline as you have said.
    Rott Weiler likes this.

Share This Page