1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to ask for time off sick?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anonmyme, Apr 23, 2012.

1. So sorry you're feeling so low. It's so hard to deal with life's hardships and the increasing pressures of teaching. I'm not one to take time off, but you are falling to pieces and nothing is worth losing your health. Please get some help - take the time to get well. School can manage without you until you're well again.

2. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

You're in such a state that you're not thinking straight dude. Call in sick, after youve been off for a few days, then go and get a certificate. a few days rest will help you take stock of things.
    The not quite with it feeling and the clumsiness sound like extreme stress.

And get your back/neck looked at. It might be stress related or it might be hurting for other reasons. I left mine and left mine and was a martyr to work and now im off with a potential prolapsed disc.

It sounds morbid but picture this, if you feel so guilty at missing work; If you dropped dead tomorrow, what would they do? Theyd cope, theyd get a supply teacher.

Put yourself first. I know it's easy to get worked up when you have a bad situation/head at school, but sod them. You're you, and you're important xxxxx

3. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Also, give these guys a call.

http://teachersupport.info/england/

England - 08000 562 561 Wales - 08000 855

(24 hour support apparently)

The Teacher Support Network were so good when I was in a bad situation in a hell-job a few years ago. Very sympathetic and will help you out with any questions and worries you have. Tell em the whole situation, im sure theyll be of help to you

Also, checking in with your head evey day? That doesnt sound right. Tell her you feel terrible and wont be in for a week (or however long), and that you will contact her near the end of the week.

xxx

4. Thank you for taking your time to respond.
    I have decided to take a few more days and if I still feel exhuasted I will go back to the GP. I did call the surgery earlier but I can't get an appointment with my GP until next Tuesday. I don't really want to see yet another doctor as they don't have the full picture.
    rousseau22 - Sorry to hear about your back, I hope you get better soon. Thank you for the advice and the link. I have made an appoinment with a chiropractor later today and will see what she says about my neck/back. My mum has Fibromyalgia and I do not want to end up with fibro, it is not a nice condition.
    Feeling a bit perkier today but very tired and just about managed to have a shower and now I feel exhausted again..

5. Can I just suggest that you are careful about the number of absence periods, as well as total days? Some heads use a nasty little formula to make things more uncomfortable if you've been absent already, then returned, then off again. I'm sure another poster will be able to give you info on this, but sometimes it's better to have one longer absence. Another issue is that your school might have cover insurance which will kick in after a certain number of days, but won't apply if it's a shorter period.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The Bradford Factor - which is quite common in many jobs. Yes, if you're ill the worst thing you can do is go back too soon and risk another period of absence.