1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to ask about salary/package?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by RachieC, Mar 12, 2019.

1. RachieC

RachieC New commenter

hi, I have had a couple of interviews for international postings in the UAE. They have been vague about salary and benefits and I’m not sure when is the best time to ask - at interview or wait until a offer is in place? I think they thought I might be ‘cheap’ as I will come with my non-teaching partner so they thought they wouldn’t have to pay housing. However, my husband gets no benefits and I got the impression after that, that they were no longer interested despite my experience. Before I go to my next interview, I’d like a little advise on how to handle this. Thanks

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Typically this is only discussed when an offer is made.

Mr_Frosty and dumbbells66 like this.
  3. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I've been informed about the package at one of three stages. Either it's already on their site, or they send you the info. with the offer of an interview, or they send you the details once they decide to give you a job offer. Whenever they decide to give you the info., it's very deliberate and there's no point asking for it earlier.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  4. 576

576 Established commenter

I would ask at interview if the information wasn't provided beforehand.

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I don't bother even applying for a job unless the package is already outlined in the advertisement. You can waste so much time completing an application to then find out you are going to be paid a pittance at the interview.

spanboy and dumbbells66 like this.
  6. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I had a rough idea of the salary here in the UAE via my recruiter but I didn't discuss it with the school until I received my offer letter which gave details.

7. gulfgolf

Good point. Go through a good agency and you'll know the ballpark before you interview. Otherwise you run the risk of wasting your time on a non-starter, or worse, scaring off a school that would have preferred to see your early focus on other parts of the job.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  8. jonesdaniel2211

jonesdaniel2211 New commenter

I tend to ask a question along the lines of 'Does the school have a salary scale or is it down to negotiation?' If they say yes to a scale then I'll ask roughly what I'll be on.

hitherejen and yasf like this.
  9. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

I wouldn't even talk to a school without having an idea of the salary and package beforehand.

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

This one question alone would get you rejected in pretty much every school i know.

Any decent school will have a published scale. If any school is willing to "negotiate" then its probably a school you really dont want to work at

11. 24hours

24hours New commenter

I don’t really understand why you think schools negotiating is a negative.

It’s the norm in business and that’s what most these schools are.

It’s also the approach my partner took and we never saw an initial package and presumed that would be all that they would ever offer.

12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

In some schools the salary of individual staff members is such a secret you can be fired for informing other members of staff what you are been paid.

A school the has an open policy and clear published pay structure is usually an indication that it is a better standard of establishment to be employed by and worth the time to complete an application.

At a recent interview in Dubai I was offered an extra 1000AED/month on top of the salary simply by asking during the interview. I wonder how many people just accepted the first figure offered to them.?

576 and 24hours like this.
  13. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

And hence the negotiations for SLT / Admin positions. Any school that does it for classroom positions is probably dodgy, and to be avoided.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  14. 24hours

24hours New commenter

i don’t understand why you believe this to be dodgy. If a school needs a physics teacher and is competing against another ten then surely an increased offer is beneficial to the school to get their ideal candidate.

15. dumbbells66

so why would someone doing exactly the same job as someone else get to be paid more than someone else?

16. gulfgolf

Plenty of reasons. Good reasons, too.
    Overseas hires get paid more than local hires as an incentive to get them to leave home, in recognition that they often have higher educational costs to get to their positions, higher on-going costs back home (the same familial obligations that local staff have, but which cost more in our home countries), to allow them to save for retirement since neither home nor host country will give them a pension (and the host country will likely kick them out when they retire), etc. We hire international staff because it's good for kids (and some schools do it for more cynical reasons), and they come with extra expenses.
    And a physics teacher isn't doing exactly the same job as an English teacher. We sometimes, but not if we can avoid it, pay more for a physics teacher, not because they are inherently better than English teachers, but because of supply and demand. Good English teachers are relatively easy to find compared to good physics teachers.

24hours likes this.
  17. 24hours

24hours New commenter

A physics teacher does not do the same job as a history teacher.

18. dumbbells66

i disagree. a physics teacher is doing the same thing as an english teacher. they are standing in front of the same kids and teaching them. just because schools find it harder to find physics teachers due to whatever reason, is not an excuse to pay them differently.

i know of no decent school that pays its teachers differently, and thank god for that

19. 24hours

24hours New commenter

Because one maybe in short supply so is in a stronger position to attract a premium.

20. gulfgolf

So in your schools, there is no different package for local and overseas hires?