1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When they ban salt from your diet, can you still have pepper?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I ask this question merely to raise another which is, how much would you tolerate your diet being changed to satisfy medical advice?

Would you eat chips without salt on them or drink coffee without sugar if you had become accustomed to enjoying chips with salt and coffee with sugar? Or would you prefer to never eat chips or drink coffee again if the medical advice was you couldn't have salt or sugar?

Or would you say "Boll.ox" to that and carry on as normal?

How far would you allow someone to go to dictate what you ate?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Pepper is not made with sodium chloride so it's fine. My husband and I try to have reduced salt in our diets anyway and add more pepper to compensate. It is possible to train your palate to get used to less salt and it is better for you. Most of what we eat is homemade, including the bread, so I have more control over how much salt is added to our food.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I will not tolerate any government that allows the sale and use of cigarettes to tell me what I should eat.

If they were to ban fags, I would still tell them to blow their food strictures out of their backside.

4. It would depend how seriously I took the risk to my health to be. No-one dictates to you or me what we choose to eat, unless we are sectioned for e.g. anorexia. They offer advice based on current knowledge, which you are free to reject. Ask any alcoholic.

Losing sugar to diabetes for example is not much of a hardship given the plethora of available and cheap substitutes. Losing salt to high blood pressure or kidney disease would be a much greater problem for me. I don't put salt on much (potatoes, battered fish, mushrooms and meat, since you ask) but the things I do use it on, I use it liberally. I don't think I could eat another potato, fried, roasted or boiled, without salt, so I'd probably just stop eating them, if I'd been medically advised to cut out salt. The bread we had in Italy tasted utterly devoid of salt, and I avoided it.

You can get a potassium-based alternative to salt, but I don't know if it's an acceptable substitute for these kind of complaints.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It has to depend on the health problem. I also find it easier to cope with "you should not eat..." than a "cut down on...".

I had gestational diabetes, and I did do as I was told, but I did at least know that it was only temporary! Interestingly, though, having been forced to change from coke to diet coke (which I had previously not liked), I now much prefer diet coke. Maybe it's worth giving things a trial for a month and seeing whether after a while you get used to them.

6. I'm not a fan of sweet drinks so never really drank standard Coke, but I took to drinking Diet Coke while I was avoiding alcohol trying to lose weight. I've tried them both since and find standard Coke undrinkably sweet.

MrBill has recently stopped taking sugar in his tea. If he can do that, it is definitely doable.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I never add salt to any food and only to season an omlette.I havent taken salt otherwise for 10 years unless its hidden in food.

Sugar I only use in coffee when working.....but otherwise never use unless its in food.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We actually need salt - it's essential to the maintenance of life.

What we don't need is loads of it. Compared to the previous generations for whom it was used as a food preservative we're probably doing quite well.

I don't add salt to anything and I use sweeteners in hot drinks. I could probably eat less sugary items if I tried, but to the best of my knowledge I'm not obese so I'm not going to (pardon the pun) bust a gut over it. I reckon I'm in credit as far as the usual middle aged health risks go simply by never having smoked - that's the biggie.

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few months ago. I decided I needed to cut back on the carbs big time and to shift to lower GI carbs where possible. It's proved less taxing than I feared. However, we've just been away for a few days and I am fed up with Greek Salad.

I use little salt in cooking. Taste buds adapt quite quickly if you want them to.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I joined that club, last year. Previously, I only took sugar in tea, so sweeteners weaned me off that. We were not big into a carb diet, so only a little adjustment needed there. I agree though, when you eat out, especially abroad, having to fall back on salads can be a bit boring.

What I found much more difficult was reducing my salt intake to help with my BP. As a child, all od us put salt on our food like snow, so giving it up was difficult. I tried the various LO-Salt products but I didn't like the taste, and it is difficult to use as it soaks up water from the air, which stops it flowing and makes the packet swell up and go mouldy. Cold turkey was the only option. In a way, this helped reduce my carb intake, as the things I previously enjoyed smothered with salt, like potatoes, no longer appealed.

11. I always though the salt thing was a bit of a tedious waste of time, but then in November I lost someone precious to me to a massive stroke (she was watching her salt, mind you...) and it brought it all home.

My husband uses tons of it. Tons. He pretty much always adds it at the table and tells me off if I have forgotten to add it to rice and pasta while cooking (he can always tell....)

Foods that NEED salt, and I would probably give up if I couldn't have salt, are chips, potatoes generally, eggs, avocado. It would be a big wrench to get used to them without salt.

Sugar is my weakness. I have tea without it but coffee must be very sweet to take away the bitter taste of coffee (I have recently realised that if I have only half a shot - barely coffee at all, really, just hot milk with a tiny flavour of coffee - I don't feel the need to load up on sugar) - and I love sweets. I'm working hard on educating myself to enjoy dark chocolate and doing quite well but I think I'll always love sweet things.

Never been a smoker though :)

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

There were some articles a while ago in possibly the Guradian about health and nutrition myths. Some of you may have noticed the nonsense about "five a day" even if only on QI. The one about salt giving you high blood presssure was based on a US study, if I remember correctly, of about 40 years ago using about twelve male subjects. From this the whole "salt gives you high blood pressure" myth arose. It was never correlated in women. Any of it depends on your physiology. You might question why the Inuit don't die of furred up arteries by the age of 20 when you look at their traditional diet. Physiology is the key, we all differ, but there are genetic links to your parents, grandparents etc, so knowing their history might help you decide what fate may await you.

In short, moderation.