1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When the GP does listen!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Kirigami, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Well, I went to see the GP, a different (junior doc) again as all the Senior GPs are fully booked for two weeks at my surgery.
    FINALLY, a GP who listened to me attentively, asked me what I wanted to do remained matter of fact and polite and treated me with respect and fairness!
    After months of telling the other doc "think this new medication is not working for me" / "my mood is not lifting" / "I am not making much progress" (and being totally ignored essentially!) this GP suggested trying another medication, one which had worked for me in the past.
    This is giving me hope again, hopefully, I am one step closer to being back to my happy self!
    This has taught me one thing: you really need to trust your doc and GP-patient relationship is sooooo important!

2. Well, I went to see the GP, a different (junior doc) again as all the Senior GPs are fully booked for two weeks at my surgery.
    FINALLY, a GP who listened to me attentively, asked me what I wanted to do remained matter of fact and polite and treated me with respect and fairness!
    After months of telling the other doc "think this new medication is not working for me" / "my mood is not lifting" / "I am not making much progress" (and being totally ignored essentially!) this GP suggested trying another medication, one which had worked for me in the past.
    This is giving me hope again, hopefully, I am one step closer to being back to my happy self!
    This has taught me one thing: you really need to trust your doc and GP-patient relationship is sooooo important!

3. Fingers crossed!

4. nsv

nsv New commenter

Thats good news. Will you be able to see this doctor regularly? I've found a couple of sympathetic GPs in my massive local practice, but trying to actually specifically book in with them is a nightmare. Example: on Friday, I booked an appointment for 2nd Nov with one of them. Today the surgery rang to cancel it, no explanation. It took a lot of arguing for me to get another appointment on the same day with a decent medic. I hope the new medication makes a difference

5. Thanks you two!!
    Well, I am going to specifically ask for this doctor next time I go. She'll not be there for very long though as she is a junior doc....
    In the long term, I am thinking of changing surgery. I used to have a great doctor but moved to a different area and wasn't able to keep going to his surgery.
    My current surgery, I have looked and not found yet a GP who is "good". The Senior ones I have seen (3 of them) are either arrogant and bored with patients, stuck in the past / set in their ways or just plainly a bit weird (one of them told me "oh yes, you need antidepressant with being a teacher"... but my depression has nothing to do with teaching, I love teaching and my school at the time was great!).... They were listening to me so well (NOT) that one of them, after explaining citalopram wasn't working for me, asked if I was ready to stop taking my sleeping aid!!!!!!
    The only thing good about their practice is their junior doctors who (for the vast majority) are up to date with their stuff, and really do it by the book. I love how they ask me "what do you want to do?" and get me to choose between two options....

6. I often prefer seeing trainee or junior doctors as they tend to take you more seriously and I think they are more cautious of making a mistake so they are really thorough-one time, I was with a trainee doctor for 2 hours in total! There is a trainee doctor in my local surgery at the moment who listens really well-he was the first doctor in 5 years to suggest that it might be an ulcer I have rather than IBS (I feel sick pretty much every minute of the day which apparently should not happen with IBS). I don't have an ulcer but I am going back to him tomorrow to talk about possible referral to a hospital as I trust him to get it right.

7. I agree, this junior doctor was excellent and checked everything really carefully.
    Some older doctors are just blasé and not willing to keep up with new developments I don't think.... I mean for depression, the "neurotransmitter imbalance" theory has been heavily questioned for the past 10 years (scientists seem to think it's more to do with neuron atrophy now) yet the old GP is coming up with old **** about " depression is a hormonal imbalance" and you're just like "riiiight!"....