1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When the carol singers come calling...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

In these days when consumer choice is supposed to be king, why should we be expected to give money to kids who only know the words of "We wish you a merry Christmas"?

Has the idiom of "He who pays the piper calls the tune" been forgotten?

I propose that from now on, carol singers should only do requests and if they don't know the words to the requested carols, they be sent away with a flea in their ear and an opportunity to come back for their penny once they've expanded their repertoire.

Who agrees with me?

lindenlea and ScotSEN like this.
  2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

We don't get any round here. I'm thinking to make a few bob myself going round knocking on doors and singing a few choice verses.

ScotSEN likes this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wish you the very best of luck, Lascarina. Might I ask what would be in your repertoire and whether you'd accompany yourself with the washboard or spoons?

ScotSEN likes this.
  4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Unless they look something like this they get nothing.
    upload_2015-12-1_23-0-27.jpeg

kibosh and ScotSEN like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Other than organised charity collections by churches, I can't remember the last time we had carol singers around here. Now I think about it, I don't think we ever have, in 35 years.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Rotary comes round every year with a van and piped Christmas music while the Rotarians call at the houses.

I generally tell them to rotate - I have other charities I support.

kibosh likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Groan - I'm singing in a local shopping centre on Saturday lunchtime. I don't want to. I thought my days of singing in shopping centres were behind me but the local radio has asked all the local choirs to do a slot up to Christmas and a few of our lot were keen so I heard myself saying OK. Uurrrrghhh!

kibosh likes this.
  8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

We had a similar thing at our previous residence - we called it the Christmas Bus. We used to hide and not answer the door. You could hear it coming from miles away.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We have a carol singing get together, with the local choir, mince pies and mulled wine. Another chance to get to know the new neighbours and no one needs to drive.

10. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

My first school, long ago, used to load a piano on a lorry and take a small choir round locally to do some carol singing. Great fun, some money raised for charity, a bit of good PR too.