1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When someone gives you the silent treatment...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Sep 7, 2011.

1. excellent observation ILS. I was subjected to it for years and that is just how I felt.

2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

[​IMG]

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Deliberately vomiting in their shoes usually ends the silent treatment very quickly

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I always used to threaten to do that to my Uncle when he picked me up and turned me upside down as a child. He used to put me down very quickly.
    (note to self - learn to vomit on demand)

5. pagoda

pagoda New commenter

Yes, I try to leave them to it, but it makes life very unpleasant and
    can go on for ages. It's just so frustrating (especially when I think
    it's them that's in the wrong!
    ).
    They may be feeling the same about you. Their silence could be a way of protecting themselves?
    Is this in the workplace?

6. Depends if colleague or personal friend/family member....

7. pagoda

pagoda New commenter

I've been made to feel small and anxious by people who belittled me in front of others in the workplace. My communication with them is purely professional now. I avoid all non-work related discussion with them. Pleasantries are minimal to non-existent.

8. I totally agree. Witholding communicaiton is an abuse of power. It is dehumanising. It is a tactic used by many managers in the public sector.
    Lack of communication costs money in the real world, but cold shouldering is rampant where profit is unimportant.
    Hardly surprising our kids end up mirroring the behaviour that they meet there, really, is it?