1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When SLT....

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Lalex123, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

... have no idea how much work you battle through every day, and then they add more to your pile!

Just an angry teacher drowning in their own workload! :confused:

Tell me your stories of ignorant SLT, hopefully it will help me feel less like I’m going mad!! o_O

install, ATfan, drek and 1 other person like this.
  2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Speak to your LM to get the support you need. Only do what you can reasonably do. Explain you couldn't do the rest as you ran out of time and energy. The more you fit in, from my experience, the more work you will get. Do SLT give more work to the less productive staff? If the answer is no, there is your answer! Good luck :)

ATfan, Corvuscorax, Bentley89 and 3 others like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Once again, I would like to draw general attention to my sig.
    It is there to soothe the likes of yourself.

fwiw, today I have particularly enjoyed this one-
    https://twitter.com/NewbieSlt/status/1196508977909112832

agathamorse and Lalex123 like this.
  4. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Thanks I did email my line manager and SLT asking for some help but they haven’t replied... looks like they don’t know how to magically create an extra 40 hours in the day either :D

5. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

I'd be careful before emailing line manager. I did that when I was an NQT expressing how I felt in was drowning in workload. They put me on informal capability a few months later.

6. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I once spelt to slt how much work they had given me. Increased class sizes and shorter and therefore more lessons meant I went from seeing 200 kids a week to seeing 300. Data input 2mins per child?= 10 hours. How many times per year? Marking 5 mins per book weekly? 25 hours. Detaining after school for naughtiness or lack of hw? 5 lessons a day..say 2or 3 in each class = 10 or 15 kids.per day. Detain for 15 mins and then time spent uploading info on behaviour system and chasing non attenders at least 2 mins per kid if no phone call home but if phoning considerably more. Incidental rubbish that had nothing to do with me. Big fight in year 9 at lunch. Large number excluded and in isolation. Work needed. I taught half of year 9 so had to sort out stuff for half the kids on the list. Telling them this did me no good. Slt didn't listen. I hope yours do.

ridleyrumpus, tonymars, ATfan and 3 others like this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I once ring-fenced an insufficient time period for the weekly rearrangement of my office pot plants, and ended up with them positioned in an inefficient configuration.

8. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Mmmmm. Emails are easy to ignore. Knock on their door to speak to them there and then or make an appointment for another time. Surely they have an open door policy? If not, just work reasonable hours and if deadlines are not met, print out your email and say you asked for support and didn't get a response. If they are not supporting you, look for another job elsewhere, if possible for you. I know this isn't always possible of course dependent on personal situation.

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  9. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

Genuinely loved the Twitter link! Had me in stitches!

10. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

I don't have it in me to be angry about workload any more. I've lost my whole Sunday to working, except I'm so tired and struggling to concentrate I've actually achieved very little off my to do list... as for talking to SLT- no point. Their standard response is, "That's the job." Sometimes accompanied by the ever delightful, "Everyone else can cope."

11. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

Hello Captain Tuttle, another M*A*S*H devotee. I also used to get the response, when suggesting that I really couldn't cope with this extra work that, "Well, it is for the students". No mention of how it would be nice to do it for your own family now and then.

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Some slt but not all some time past that I have experienced:

Lying to teachers
    Hiding from students
    Fudging data
    Picking on teachers
    Saying one thing and doing another
    Taking statements off learners and adding leading questions to try and set a teacher up
    Changing timetables mid year
    Changing policies without communicating it
    Shouting at teachers infront of pupils and staff
    Gossiping and spreading false rumours
    Blaming others for their errors

And the best response:

IGNORE IT because slt like this do not deserve to be taken seriously. In fact its attention and power they seek. So never ever take slt like this at their word. And always have witnesses around.

tenpast7 and Lalex123 like this.
  13. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

All you can really do is keep trying your best to help the pupils, remain as professional as you can and ignore the bs from SLT that prevents you helping the pupils.
    Please also remember if you ever get promoted to SLT , that you keep some degree of empathy for the Frontline Staff.

install and Lalex123 like this.
  14. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Except they can't can they. That's why saying that you cannot cope is a no no and fa reasonor "support", the last thing SLT want is teachers genuinely & collectively complaining about workload.

You can tell the union rep by the target on their backs.

16. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

a brilliant idea! Thanks - that made me laugh :)