1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When should school tell me if I'm getting my increment?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by terri1972, Nov 7, 2015.

1. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

So performance management complete, appraisal complete. Still no news about whether or not I will receive either my one percent or my pay increment. ( Not sure what is the correct term any more!)

Is there any timescale for management to tell us this? Just wondering... ;0)

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

In 10 years, I never once understood the timescale involved. However, if you are unsure, ask.

terri1972 likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well now, @terri1972 , I need to get a rubber stamp to answer this:

Because I say this so often!

You need to look at your school's Pay Policy.

Because, you see, there is no national arrangement or agreement for teachers' pay, other than the broad bands of minimum and maximum. Teachers on the minimum points are the only teachers who will automatically see an increase in their pay and for all other teachers the level of increase will be determined by the school in accordance with the pay policy and the outcome of performance appraisal.

So have a look at what your school's pay policy is, and what if anything it says about any timescale. Be reassured, however, that any increase awarded will be backdated to 1st September.

Best wishes

4. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Ok, Thanks for this. It's just that it seems to take longer every year! I am still on main scale, and it would be nice to know how much I can afford to put up for my daughter's university costs!!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Our pay committee has just met to agree/disagree with recommendations made. Their decision will be passed on to the finance manager and, if we are lucky, we will see the money in November pay packets, if not it will be Christmas ( which was the position last year!)