1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When should I submit request for part time hours by?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by KnitandStitch, Feb 10, 2018.

1. KnitandStitch

KnitandStitch New commenter

Hello all,

I’m sure that this has been asked before but after searching I couldn’t find quite the right answer for me, so:

For reasons to do with childcare I would like to make a request for part time hours to start in September. When should I make this request by?

I work in a secondary school, so I am thinking definitely before they start the timetabling process, which I think is around Easter (?). However, I’m wondering if I need to make the request even earlier than that in order to allow time for an appeal if they reject the initial application...

Thank you all in advance for any advice that you’re able to give.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would say asap - existing part timers at my place were asked a few weeks ago to confirm arrangements for 2018-19

3. roadwalker8

roadwalker8 Occasional commenter

When I requested successfully last year, it was just before February half term. The head will appreciate the time to plan accordingly. Also, the sooner you request, the more likely you are to be given the okay.

4. KnitandStitch

Thank you both very much for your responses, I had better get going with writing my letter then!

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Have you talked to anyone about the possibility informally? It's sometimes a good idea to see how the land lies, as it may help tailor the application. You might get "actually we're slightly overstaffed in your department anyway" or "we need to advertise for someone for <possibly related subject>, so we could try and get someone who could teach a bit of <your subject> as well". Then you know what to put about how the impact of your request could be accommodated. Alternatively, if they say "no, would cause too many split classes" or "unlikely, because nobody else has taught A-level", you have the chance to suggest how split classes might be avoided, or say that Ms X is capable of teaching A-level and has already been familiarising herself with the spec. If you know what the likely objection is, you can try and counter it.

6. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

Now. My school has asked this week if anyone on part time hours wants to go up or down for Sept so now is the time.

7. KnitandStitch

Thank you both for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. Good tip Frustum, I’ll see if I can get in touch with my HoD over half term.

8. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

your HoD may not know all the details - it will be the Head you would need to submit your request to. There are many threads on here on wording etc if you search. Your in school union rep may also have supported others making similar requests.

9. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

Can the school insist you go up or down hours when you are part time ??
    Do you lose some of the rights you have as full time ??
    I.e., if You were given 0.8 could you be asked to go 0.6 and have no choice?? Thanks