1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When should I make 1st docs appt?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by willow1, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hi
    I've just had my 1st BFP after 6months ttc and reckon I'm about 4+2 so very early days I know. I just wondered when you are supposed to see a doctor? NHS website says as soon as you find out your pregnant but have read elsewhere that some places won't see you until you are 8wks. Confused!
    x

2. Hi
    I've just had my 1st BFP after 6months ttc and reckon I'm about 4+2 so very early days I know. I just wondered when you are supposed to see a doctor? NHS website says as soon as you find out your pregnant but have read elsewhere that some places won't see you until you are 8wks. Confused!
    x

3. A huge congratulations willow. Ok here goes...... I went to the Drs after my positive pregnancy test about 4+2. She didn't do a PG test, just took my word for it, but i was immediately booked in for an early scan as i sadly miscarried last year so that was great and put my mind at ease no end. The dr then gave me the contact details of my local midwife lead unit and I called them only after I had reached 8 weeksPG. My booking in appointment was then made to coincide with my 10th week of pregnancy and that's when I had lots of blood taken and we were asked tons of questions. I know different trusts have different proceedures but I think you still need to touch base with your GP first. Im now 30+ weeks and have only dealt with midwives after my initial appointment all those months go. Best of luck with your pregnancy hope that helps xxx

4. RKM

RKM

We found out both times when we were 5 weeks. I went to the drs each time just to confirm dates.I was told go then to book an appoinment for booking in with the midwife. The midwife wont see you until 10 weeks, where they will arrange your 12 week scan and blood tests. My dr told my if I got cramping or bleeding or any unsual pains go to a+e. But up until 10 weeks or so I found your pretty much on your own.

5. Thanks for the advice. I'll call the docs on mon & see what they say. Doesn't feel real at the moment. Fingers crossed it sticks!
    x

6. RKM

RKM

I should have said congratulations [​IMG]

7. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

My doctor's just ask you to make an appointment with a midwife at between 8 and 10 weeks. You don't actually need to see a doctor as home pregnancy tests are pretty accurate. I did a repeat digital test about a week or 2 after my BFP but try to avoid doing any more than that - what I mean is don't keep testing over and over as they can give you a nasty scare and a false result sometimes. I did a third one after mine read 3+ weeks and it had gone down to 2-3 weeks. What happened is that my urine wasn't so concentrated and gave a false reading.
    Many congratulations and fingers crossed for you! Take care xxx

8. Its the same round here no need to see doctor unless you have a specific reason for doing so. Congratulations :)

9. Thanks everyone :)