1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When should I ask if I'm staying?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon4038, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I'm an NQT just going into my second term.

I am under the understanding that my job is for one year, its not a maternity cover but it was advertised as being for one year.

I have never actually seen my contract so I'm not sure how its worded or when exactly it 'runs out', but I'm aware that it wont be long until all the jobs for Sep 2012 come out (time is flying by in this job!!!) and I'm wondering when school will tell me if they want to keep me for sep 2012 or if I need to get on the job hunt again.

I don't want to leave it too long because I want to be prepared for when all the jobs come out to give myself the best chance possible, but I also feel cheeky going and asking about this issue.

Is there a time that they should speak to me about this or should I go and ask myself? If so when should I be asking? Easter?

Many thanks

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Huh?
    You must have signed a contract at some point, or at least told it was on its way. If I were you, start chasing the personnel officer tomorrow.
    Schools can drag their feet on this sort of thing, but it's down to you to start sending e-mail and knocking on doors now, particularly if you're only there until July...!

3. An employer is allowed to employ someone for 2 months without giving them a physical contract - thereafter you are entitled to insist on one (or refuse to turn up, which, of course, isn't in anyone's interest!).
    So, as above, go straight to the relevant person tomorrow and ask for a contract. If they are still stalling, then email them and cc your head of department, NQT mentor and the headteacher stating that you expect to have it within the next 5 working days. If you feel unsure about being so direct, then dress it up by saying that you are thinking about getting a new mortgage/loan/car/renting a flat and you don't want anything to slow down because you don't have all the necessary paperwork.
    Aside from the contract issue, I would just ask what their plans are for next year. Ask your line manager - what's the worst that can happen?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Are you primary?

If so, pop and see the HT and tell them that you need to know wither to start applying for posts for September, as you have seen a couple you quite like the look of but would much rather stay where you are.

If secondary then I've not a clue...ask your HOD?