1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When should capital letters be taught?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Staycebayliss, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Staycebayliss

Staycebayliss New commenter

When should children be taught to recognise each of the capital letters, i.e. that a capital h is H?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

My class are 3-4 years old and some can recognise the initial letter of their name and the lower case as well. We've not talked about 'capital letters' but they know, for example, that A, a and a handwritten a are all the same.

But in general I'd expect year 1, if they hadn't started in reception.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

It tends to start at home, before school years, but if a child comes from a family who have never mentioned capital letters, its not particularly important, no hurry

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It really doesn't...and I teach in a school with super pushy and involved parents!

And capital letters are very important. As soon as children write sentences, they need capital letters. So between reception and year 1 for most children.

1 person likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it does here

6. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Mine really got it cemented when they started faffing about on the household computers (they have upper+lower case stickers on the keyboard that's "the kids" computer but of course nicking mine is always the more preferable option as I've got a spinny chair). So end of Reception/start of Y1 really.

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

When they're ready :)

8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’ve been doing it all this week in Year 1.