1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When should a trainee apply for an NQT job?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by SheldonMenez, Dec 6, 2019.

1. SheldonMenez

SheldonMenez New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in my teacher training year doing a SCITT. I'm really enjoying it so far and someone in my department told me about a teaching position going at another school.

I have been to visit that school before and really liked the science department and the kids there.

I'm just a little curious about when you're actually supposed to apply for NQT jobs? The job listing is open to NQTs but I don't think I'd have that much to talk about in the interview.

I suppose my main questions are: When is considered a normal time to apply for NQT jobs? Do providers take into account the fact that I will only have been teaching (if you can call 6 hours a week teaching) for 7 weeks?
    Thanks

2. klarissaxc

klarissaxc New commenter

Have you got QTS yet? The NQT (newly qualified teacher) year is the sep after you’ve gained your teaching qualification. You’re NQT year is AFTER you’ve gained QTS. So for example I’m on a SCITT too and once I’ve hopefully gained QTS by July 2020 my nqt year would be Sep of 2020.

3. MissCleo

MissCleo New commenter

If the job is going now, it is likely that it is for a mid-year start and therefore not an appropriate fit for you because you will not have finished your teacher training yet. The timing of job listing will depend on your area and on the school, but jobs that are for a September start are, in my experience, most often listed in spring time or after Easter. However, if you are interested it is worth checking the start date for the job.

peter12171 likes this.
  4. BethML7xx

BethML7xx New commenter

It depends on when the school wants you to start. I completed my PGCE last year and I’m in my NQT year now. A few people on my course did have jobs at Christmas though to start the following September.

You can apply for jobs now as long as it’s for next September so maybe email and inquire, it doesn’t hurt.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. SheldonMenez

SheldonMenez New commenter

issue solved!!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Start looking for an Nqt job around March. Make sure you give yourself time to visit schools and put some applications in.
    Teachers have until the end of May to hand in their resignation to leave in July so more jobs will come out towards the end of May.

agathamorse likes this.