1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When looking for a job, does it matter where i got my degree ?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Flyonthewall75, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a simple answer to your question.
    I can think of one former technical college, upgraded to university, which 10 years ago had a very high drop-out rate, partly because the calibre of some entrants was not particularly great but also because, according to some reports, the teaching was inconsistent.
    Today that same university, after rebranding, has a very high demand for courses in the local area, in Scotland and beyond, because it has a very good reputation for graduate employability and close links with industry. Its more illustrious neighbour has seen a 15.3% reduction in applicants, the largest in Scotland, reportedly because it is now being more selective and expecting beyond the minimum requirements.
    I suspect, therefore, that applicants are thinking very seriously about their employment prospects before embarking on a university course. As you will be aware, employment prospects within teaching are not particularly favourable at present - some would say dire.
    I am not aware of any ITE courses in Scottish universities that are superior to others and, of course, none can guarantee you a job. Yet, despite the unfavourable job prospects, they don't seem to be having any difficulties with the number of enthusiastic applicants wanting to enter teaching.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful.

2. aw99

aw99 New commenter

Thanks for your help!!
    Im just worried about the job situation and I want to give myself the best possible opportunity !
    Ive been offered places at bigger uni's i.e. Jordanhill but also the smaller ones such as Ayr.
    Any advice on Ayr !?

Thanks Again

3. As far as I am aware (and I could be wrong) it's more with how you get on in probation and the refrences you take with you from completing probation than about where you got your qualification.
    I would ask on the student and probationer forum for opinions on differnt courses to help you decide. Different unis have slightly different course structuers and one might suit you better then another.

4. I went to Ayr and loved it. Although it is smaller than the rest, I felt like I got very good teaching and I was fully confident when I embarked on my probation year. You get to know everyone in your year and get to build good relationships with your lecturers too. I moved across to Edinburgh to do my probation year, and with most people applying for jobs there from the larger universities, I managed to successfully get a permanent job very quickly. I don't think it matters overly where you did your degree, but how you make best use of your probation year. All the best!

5. aw99

aw99 New commenter

Thanks Folks.

Still got the decision to make !!