1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is your last pay date

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by johan14, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I am leaving my current school on the 31st August this year. Will my last pay day be this or will it be the 31st of July???

2. coppull

coppull New commenter

It should be 31st August if you are on a normal contract. Can you give us any reasons why it should be the 31st July ?

3. It will be end of august, whenever the usual date is you get paid eg if it's 28th then it will be 28th august (but the pay is for period up to 31st).

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You must be clear in your resignation letter.
    I suggest writing something like, "I am giving the required notice to terminate my employment as of 31st August 2012".
    Those who write that they wish to leave their employment when school closes in July on the 23rd (or whatever date) run the risk of losing all the holiday pay that they have earned just because of their resignation letter.
    Those who stay in the school's employ carry on being employess over the summer and those leaving a standard contract are also employees until 31st August.
    As well as the pay issue, it's important for continuity of service for there to be no breaks in employment between one school and another. It's all set up for one emplyment to ceaseat the official end of a school year (or term) and the next post to begin at the official start of a school year (or term).
    The exception to the last detail is that changing school after the Spring term allows for the changeover to happen after the Easter break, even though the official end of the term for pay purposes is 30th April.
    If you are starting a job outside teaching, your school doesn't need to know if your start date with the new employer is at the end of July or in August. You should get the holiday pay earned from the teaching post and will also be paid by the new employer (new work all taxed at 20% until you get a P45 from your LA and start getting some tax-free pay from the new employment in September)

5. Thanks all.

In my notice I did state I would be leaving the school's employment on the 31st August but was just checking to make sure that I got my last payment from the school on this day and not on the 31st July.

Again thanks everyone.