1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is your bedtime?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kartoshka, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Just curious!

I'm in my thirties, have to get up at 7, and go to bed around midnight.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

10pm - no decent telly after that time. And I'm old and need my sleep.

InkyP and emilystrange like this.
  3. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Midnight. But I don't tend to sleep till 1 or 2am. And then I'm up once in the night with the baby and then Mr Ork wakes me at 6.30 but I don't usually get out of bed till 7. I'm always tired. Always.

4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Around 11, though yesterday it was 9:(

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

In my late 40s (omg, next decade 50!!) get up at 6 and go to bed at 10.30 ish, unless there is a good film on! The next morning is usually a challenge though!

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I remember that with babies. I survived on 4 hours sleep a night for years. Now I don't have a bedtime. I go to bed whenever I feel like it and get up whenever I feel like it.

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i generally go at ten and read for half an hour. lately, it never seems early enough.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I get up before 6 am. I go up to bed around 10pm. Sometimes, much earlier if extra tired or unwell.

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Since retiring, I stay up really late, well past 1, or 2, and get up at leisure, usually about midday. I have always tended to be more of an owl, and always hated getting up in the morning for work. (Adolescent brain still predominates I think :eek:)

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Bless your dear heart. I well remember those days when I couldn't believe that one could function on so little sleep!!
    One morning when the wee one was very tiny, I remember OH saying that she'd slept well. I'd been up 12 times. Yes, TWELVE times. I couldn't decide on murder or divorce but I was too knack ered to choose!!!

A big cyber hug to you.
    xxxxxx

aspensquiver, Orkrider2 and cissy3 like this.
  11. chipper115

chipper115 New commenter

Three nights a week I go to exercise classes so come home, eat, shower and get into bed by 10pm. The other 'school night' I can be in bed by 8:30 pm with a book.
    I rarely watch TV except at weekends.
    Friday and Saturday nights, I go to bed early or late as my mood takes me/ social calendar allows/how involved I am with my current book.
    I'm up at 6am in the week and usually by 8am at the weekend.

12. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Got into the habit of late nights - well early mornings really when I was working full-time and doing my masters and have never really got out of the habit. I usually go to bed between 12.30 and 2 depending on TV - and how I'm getting on with my current Knitting/sewing/craft project. ie I'll just finish this little bit then oh well I might as do this next wee section!. When I worked I was up about 6.30 weekdays but later on weekends and sometimes on a Friday night I'd crash out early. Now I'm retired I generally get up between 8.30 and 9 unless need to be up earlier for something special.

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Generally about 10.30-11. Usually finish at least the row of knitting, or the bit before I need to cast off, or increase stitches.

I read until I fall asleep and if I'm not worrying about something, I hope to sleep until about 6, but then I read again and doze. If there's something on my mind, I wake about 2,3 or 4. If I can't get back to sleep, I take my Kindle to one of the spare rooms, trying not to disturb Mr F.

14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Thank you for the support guys. Mr Ork doesn't see the problem but I suspect he has some kind of narcolepsy which is triggered the moment he gets into a horizontal position. I, on the other hand, need a good 2 hours to let my brain wind down before I can drift off again. It's not even really the baby, it's because I work from 4-7ish doing tutoring, then have an hour for dinner and chores, then start studying at 8 and do a solid 4 hours (apart from TES breaks, obviously!) before bed, at which point my brain is in overdrive and it takes ages to get to sleep. There's just so much reading to be done, and I've got an assignment due in 3 weeks, and I can't do anything during the day because bubs is at that demanding, needy, crawling and cruising and into everything stage. :( It'll be better in 5 years, I keep telling myself (just in time for the teenager-staying-out-till-2am induced insomnia to kick in I suspect! Blimmin kids!)

cissy3 and Lascarina like this.
  15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

55 years old and I go to bed at 11.30 p.m., get up at 6.30 a.m., go back to bed at 5.00 p.m., get up at 6.00 p.m. weekdays.
    At the weekends I go to bed at around midnight and get up at around 8 a.m., go back to bed at around 2 p.m. and get up again at 3 p.m.

When I get some time off or spend a period on the dole (which I like to do for three year stints every five years: work five, stop for three, work five, etc) I go to bed around 3 a.m. and get up around 10 a.m. and then have an afternoon nap between 2 and 4 p.m.

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Don't overdo things, Orkrider. Easy for me to say but you can drive yourself into the ground and that's not good for you or for your children. You take care.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

My husband was exactly the same Orkrider.
    What made it worse was that he snored too, so I could never get back to sleep after dealing with the little one.
    ps Good luck with everything. You seem to have a lot on your plate!

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Unfortunately I'm programmed to wake up around 5 am and I'm invariably on the road to school (a 30-40 minute drive) by about 6.15 am.

So I need to sleep somewhere between 9 and 10 pm.

I used to occasionally get up at 2 am and mark for a few hours but that's only for the direst emergancy now.

In spite of all that I do like my job still !

aspensquiver likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Me too. I put it down to the hard life of the retiree.

20. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Up at about 4.45 and lights out at 10 after watching headlines.

Little boy sometimes wakes up for a few minutes during the night.