1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is the right time to leave?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by toastandtea, Sep 20, 2015.

1. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be posting this on but am hoping you might be able to offer some advice.

I've been at my school for 6 years now, having joined SLT 2 years ago. Earlier in the summer term I was signed off work with anxiety and later was then admitted to hospital with severe depression. I returned to work this term on a phased return, which I'm grateful to my school for allowing me to do over an extended period (I'm due to be full time just after Oct half term hopefully). However since being back I've found the pace of working and the general expectations to just be too much. I'm having to ask teachers for things that are stretching them and I'm feeling the pressure too. I hate to say it but since coming back I've found I'm not entirely sure this is the school for me any more. I get home from work and am utterly exhausted and have to have a nap just to get some energy back!

My husband and I want to relocate anyway, and this is the main reason for moving schools, but are making the decision when we do that based on when I can move schools. Is it a bad idea leaving at Christmas and not seeing the year through or is it best to find a job that could make you happy? Basically what I'm trying to ask is, is it a better idea to see the year through or cut my losses and find a new job for January??

Very grateful for any advice you have.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's not a sin to leave mid-year.

Relocation is also a very good reason for having moved mid-year, or even moving without a job to go to. (It sounds as if your move can be flexible, but future employers won't know that, and will easily assume that your husband's job meant you had to move at that point.) So I don't think leaving at Christmas will do you any harm in the longer term. I guess the main question is whether your reference will be better if you manage to get back up to full speed and have a good term after Christmas, or if it's based on your current record.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

[​IMG]

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Lots of people have moved mid-year - I've done it and lots will continue to do it. Don't worry yourself about that issue!

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would say look around for jobs now, and apply if the right one comes up. Going at Christmas is fine. Take care, though; it is unlikely that a new school will generate a lot less stress. Could it be your SLT role rather than or as well as the school which is the issue?

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Nothing wrong with moving mid-year. I'm doing it myself although in my case I've got another job to go to.

To be honest if teaching is getting you down then get out.

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Firstly you have done very well to get back to where you are given you were in hospital with depression! (and for those posters lucky enough to have never suffered the black dog, it can be utterly debilitating at the time but we can live normal lives outside of the depression(s))

You are legally entitled to leave at Christmas and out of Christmas or Easter as the two non-end of academic year points to leave, Christmas is far 'better' (you can use the 'new year new job' argument and far more schools appoint for January and often 'muddle through' with Easter leavers.)

Plus, if you are at all concerned about what the school will say, just (even if a lie) say the OH has had to relocate.

Ask yourself do you need the SLT salary? If you can't stand the heat, you know what they say, why not go back to classroom teaching (Of course, many non SLT assume that SLT actually have it easier than them, reduced timetable etc although Im sure any SLT reading will very quickly point out this is incorrect and there are other responsibilities!)

Also, it must be worth considering going 'part time.' (I add inverted commas as I am only too aware that a 0.6 or 0.8 can easily end up effectively doing 1.something when planning/marking is added!)

Good luck and well done, it is good when people see the 'rat race' for what it really is!

8. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

Sounds to me like the relocation is a perfect excuse to leave mid year, go for it! Hope it ends happily :)