1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is the right time to conceive as a teacher?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by looloo38, Jan 13, 2011.

1. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all
    This is my first time using the message boards i'm hoping you can all help me on this topic. I have been researching maternity leave for teachers and i am so confused by everyones comments. I thought that if i tell you my situation then maybe someone could help.

I am an NQT and due to finish my first year in July. I think i am being taken on permanently by my school in September. I have been told that Jan is the best time to conceive (in my case Jan 2011) and to go on hols as normal in summer, give birth in Sept, take the school year (9 months off which i think i am entitled to) and then have the summer again off - all paid? But i have read other peoples posts saying things about not accruing enough sick pay etc (this might be US posts though) i didn't think sick days had anything to do with maternity?

Obviously falling pregnant on an exact month is a challenge/luck so what i would also like to know is - if you give birth BEFORE the summer holidays say June/July would your maternity start then or would you be entitled to the summer first then your official maternity starting in the Sept?

Sorry i sound very confused but i don't know who else to ask - only those with experience of it happening.
    I also had the worry that my contract may not be made permanent and i'll be put on a fixed term again- if this happens they could end my job whilst on maternity - is this a possibility? I doubt very much the school would keep me on knowing i'd be off for another year?

Please help
    xx

2. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all
    This is my first time using the message boards i'm hoping you can all help me on this topic. I have been researching maternity leave for teachers and i am so confused by everyones comments. I thought that if i tell you my situation then maybe someone could help.

I am an NQT and due to finish my first year in July. I think i am being taken on permanently by my school in September. I have been told that Jan is the best time to conceive (in my case Jan 2011) and to go on hols as normal in summer, give birth in Sept, take the school year (9 months off which i think i am entitled to) and then have the summer again off - all paid? But i have read other peoples posts saying things about not accruing enough sick pay etc (this might be US posts though) i didn't think sick days had anything to do with maternity?

Obviously falling pregnant on an exact month is a challenge/luck so what i would also like to know is - if you give birth BEFORE the summer holidays say June/July would your maternity start then or would you be entitled to the summer first then your official maternity starting in the Sept?

Sorry i sound very confused but i don't know who else to ask - only those with experience of it happening.
    I also had the worry that my contract may not be made permanent and i'll be put on a fixed term again- if this happens they could end my job whilst on maternity - is this a possibility? I doubt very much the school would keep me on knowing i'd be off for another year?

Please help
    xx

3. Your maternity leave starts no later than the baby's due date, so if you were to have one in June your leave would start in June. No idea what you mean by accruing sick pay?!

4. Now is the best time to get pregnant as you can end up with 13 1/2 months off and yet take only 10 1/2 months maternity due to the summer holidays. Our youngest three all have their birthdays in October.
    But there isn't a wrong time. Not when you look back.

5. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi
    Thank you for replying so quick, i cant get pregnant now because im only an NQT and im worried that if i got pregnant now they wouldnt take me on because i would be off for the first year of my permanent contract - doesnt look good does it and i doubt that they would renew my contract anyway if i fell pregnant before they renewed my contract. So i was planning next January or this September. So are you saying if i give birth just before summer hols (july) my maternity pay would start then and essentially be due back at work nine months later in March...therefore not receiving the benefit of the summer hols?

Thank you xx

6. In an ideal world: Have baby Sept 1st and maternity leave starts that day. You would have had all summer hols paid as normal and you've had 6 weeks rest before baby is due. Return to work last week of July (i'll do this as I want to prepare for Sept and ease myself back in) or just put your return date at start of summer hols and you will be paid the whole 6 weeks.
    Go back to work in Sept and that's your whole 13-ish months off with both summer hols paid as normal.
    This did not work well for me (of course there is never a bad scenario when you've been given the gift of a baby) but I stopped pill Dec 2009 planning to do the same as you, but didn't conceive until Nov 2010 which means my baby is due august and so I miss half of my normal school pay as you can't put a later maternity date leave than your due date.However, I am so ecstatic that i'm pregnant that I don't really care (although i'm secretly hoping that my dating scan will give me a due date as late as poss heheh)

7. You are wise to leave it until you have that contract in your hands as obv with all the cuts everything is in limbo and they may not renew (though they won't cite preg as the reason!)
    You wouldn't be on full pay for the summer if you gave birth in june - like the previous poster said, it starts from the day the baby is born if it is born during the summer break!
    However, it is very difficult to plan when to get pregnant! Things don't always plan out, so to answer your question, the best time to get pregnant is when you are ready! This time of year works out better financially, but to be honest, i don't care as long as i have a baby!

8. Yup i'm afraid so. Your maternity leave can't start later than you're due date and if your baby comes early, the maternity leave will start then.

9. <strike>you're</strike> I mean your!
    I always get annoyed when people get that the wrong way round!

10. You can't really plan when you will get pregnant and have a baby unless you get immensley (sp) lucky. In my opinion there's not much in life that one has so little control over as pregnancy and all the stuff that comes with it. Surely it should be easy enough for you to get hold of your maternity leave policy and check it out.

11. I agree with Mousee. It is impossible to really plan a pregnancy unless you are INCREDIBLY lucky. I have been ttc for 3 years and am now undergoing fertility treatment . There is nothing wrong with OH and I ; it just hasn't happened. So, whilst, yes, January may be the ideal month to conceive in terms of the school year and maternity leave, it really just isn't that simple or easy (for the vast majority).
    I don't mean to sound negative. I just wish that in the early days I had realised that this is absolutely not something that can be planned. It would have saved me a lot of disappointment and heartache.
    Good luck x

12. Once you have a baby none of it really matters- you can't plan it- you could take 11 months to conceive and still end up with an August baby..,.. just come off the pill when you are ready to TTC... I had an August baby- and that means I have to pay a years less child care... I didn't really think about months- just the baby!..Didn't conceive in month 1 anyway. Losing a bit of maternity pay is not the end of the world.

13. I echo what clueless said. The right time to have a baby, is when it happens! I have been ttc for 10 months and I was naive enough to think it would take us about 3 months. It's very much a game of chance and no amount of planning will guarantee you will have your baby when you want.
    With regards to mat pay, from reading this forum I've learnt a lot. Your mat leave can begon anytime from 32 weeks. If your baby is due during a holiday, then you have to put down your due date - even if baby is late - and your mat pay will begin from then. You do not have to tell your school in your letter about mat leave when you will return to work; just say that intend to return and stipulate a date closer to the time (different LAs require different amount of notice on this).
    If you really want to try for a baby then check out the ttc thread - you'll learn a lot!

14. One more thing to add to other posts - now may be the best time unless if you are due in September and have a preterm baby! I was due end of November and had baby in October. its not an exact science - like other posters have said do it when you are ready to TTC. One of my friends has just announced she is pregnant (wanted baby in Feb - not sure why?) and is due at the end of July - she doesn't give one jot is just over the moon to be pregnant
    x