1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is peak job season?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by marilyn2, Jan 20, 2019.

1. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Hi there,
    I’ve searched various forums on this site trying to find out the general consensus when peak job season is and I’m left more confused than ever. Is it really over by January?
    I’m planning ahead for my last year of my contract- notice deadline is early November. I’ve never given my notice in without a job to go to and this terrifies me! Not getting a job would be awful. What is everyone else’s experience? What is your experience of jumping ship without a job lined up..how long did it take you to get a job?...anyone left without a position?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

We’re in peak season and will soon move out of it. Yes, it is typical in most IS to have to give notice before getting hired, excepting some countries in mainstream Europe like Germany.
    Hiring does happen from October onwards, with the early hires focused on candidates with special factors like lots of international experience, hard to fill subjects and couples fulfilling both.

3. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Right about now, although when I got my previous job in Singapore I was appointted in November.

4. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

It depends on the school and country.

Larger schools/companies might have the flexibility to shuffle people around and offer jobs early, as even without open vacancies they know they will have some roles come September.

If a large amount of paperwork is needed, you want to appoint as soon as possible to get the ball rolling.

If you are doing well at the school, they should be understanding enough about you expressing an intention to leave and may be open to re-negotiating should you not find a job. However, look at it from their point of view. They don't want to lack teachers and will want to plan ahead, especially for popular locations.

Jobs are available year round and you can be appointed any time, but November-January seems to be the key time.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  5. kinks

kinks New commenter

Agreed with posters above,this is the main recruitment time ,by the end of Jan it's mostly over for the big schools.
    However Europe because of employment laws can be all the way up to May.

6. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

We all had to have our notice in by October, and loads still don't have a job. No one is panicking yet, though!

marilyn2 likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

my school is done for the year.

8. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

For Asian schools, generally October and November are peak seasons. After that, you're left with undesirable schools or, if you're lucky, people who failed to gain a visa.

European schools are a lot later as the current staff don't have to give notice as early.

9. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

This is the answer provided by the big recruitment agency in their FAQs, to the question 'What is the busiest recruitment period?':

'From January to May each year, with February/March being the peak time for appointments. It is simply not true that if you don't find a position in January or before that you have in some way "missed the boat". Don't panic at all - the job market remains very active right through to the end of May, and many candidates find jobs even later in the year.'

marilyn2 likes this.
  10. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Many thanks to everyone for your replies, that is most reassuring
    M

11. RUS1

RUS1 New commenter

I would add that in my experience the European schools having a later window is becoming a fallacy. My school in Europe and other schools on Search ask for intentions to be announced end of December or end of January. I almost got burnt when trying to find a job in Europe believing the window was mid - February to before Easter. Turned out the better schools had their recruitment finished by then and all that was left was either disorganised schools or schools with a late in the day additional staffing need arise. Luckily my school was the latter (with some of the former).