1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is it time to move on?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsMusgrove, Aug 20, 2018.

1. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

Hi
    I work in a school that is a great place to work. I’ve been there since I qualified 15 years ago. I am SLT and have tlr for a core subject and a key stage. I’m also a full time class teacher. I get very little, if any, management release time and I’m frustrated by this because I don’t have time to make impact in my areas of responsibility, and trying to lead whilst having a full time class is taking its toll on me - my mental health and well being.
    However, I love the school and am proud to be part of it.
    But I am dreading going back knowing the extent of my workload.
    Is it time to move on? Should I look for DHT posts? What would others do in this situation? I wonder if it is the norm to get like this in middle management??

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Middle management is the worst; full-time class responsibility but also major responsibilities elsewhere and little time. I have exactly the same responsibilities as you and a couple of hours out every week, it is never enough time but somehow getting everything done is expected and you're also supposed to be leading by example!

My solution is to leave teaching in the next 2 or 3 years. I sometimes feel like I'm doing both parts of the job badly which stresses me out. I would say if you are feeling frustrated about the lack of time but still love the job and responsibilities, look for a similar position elsewhere where you'd get the time (perhaps with a bit more responsibility but, say, only a 60% teaching timetable) or look to see if there are AHT jobs where there's part-time class teaching and a similar level of responsibility.

It's a hard one. For people who love the teaching but also want to make a whole-school difference, there are so few positions where you're given the time to feel like you're doing both roles justice.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Reading your post does suggest it may be time to start looking around. If you stay too long in one School it might actually be more difficult to move on.

JosieWhitehead and MrsMusgrove like this.
  4. Scue24

Scue24 New commenter

I was in the same position and decided to call it a day, will be officially finished on August 31st. Although the future looks a little uncertain at the moment I do believe that this was the right thing to do. The frustration of never finishing jobs properly SLT wise and running a full class was becoming too difficult hence my decision. Feel quite relieved actually.

MrsMusgrove likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you need to say all of this, just as bluntly to your appraiser in September. Talk through what projects you would like to do to raise standards and what time you need to do it. Make sure they know you love the school and would gladly stay, but need to feel you are making a difference and moving on in your career. A decent head won't want to lose you and will do what they can to help.

If you want to move to senior leadership, mention this at your appraisal meeting and then start looking around. You are fortunate that you love where you are, so can take your time to find somewhere equally lovely to move to.

Don't give up teaching...sheesh!

6. Lara mfl 05

Exceellent, practical suggestions from ctob there.

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi MrsMusgrove
    Lots of excellent advice above. There's really no right or wrong time to move - it depends on you and what you want. If you love the school and are able to make at least some of the changes you need when you talk to your Head, then there's no problem with staying there for another 15 years. There's a lot to be said for working in an environment where you are basically happy - you only have to read many of the threads on these forums to know how many people don't share that feeling.
    But your health and well-being are the most important factor. If you know that those areas are suffering and the Head won't support any changes, then maybe it is time to look elsewhere.
    Don't rush into a decision. If you decide to look around, take your time. Enjoy the last week of the holiday and best of luck.

8. AllButterMuffin

AllButterMuffin New commenter

Hi Mrs Musgrove
    I was in your position - as a DH though - last year. 12 years in the same school from P/T to F/T, from class teacher to DH. I loved it and all my colleagues (except one) and it was because of that one colleague that I eventually decided to leave. I ended up in a really tough job with a dreadful head and a demotion, but it was the best decision I made for many reasons.
    Firstly, I could see my old school in a different light. It was a place where I had been protected and got complacent.
    Secondly, I realised that other schools (even those with massive pp funding) are so skint they can't afford proper release time for anyone except the head and deputy. So knock that one on the head unless you want to be DH in a big school.
    Thirdly, I learned a lot about myself as a teacher and what I need to do personally to improve.
    So anyway, enough about me! I would strongly recommend that you move if only because you have been in one setting for so (too) long. There is a whole world of schools out there and you can learn loads even from the crappy ones.
    Final bit of advice - don't move mid year. I did, and it was really, really hard for everyone!
    Good luck with everything!

9. Lara mfl 05

i would agree that moving Schools mid-year tends to be more problematic than a Sept. start.

10. MrsMusgrove

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to offer advice. All very helpful. I think it’s time to move on - but not necessarily up. When you cry at the thought of returning to work it must be time to move on.
    Thank you again

11. caterpillartobutterfly

Then again it could be because the room you have spent the last fortnight setting up is now in a heap in the hall ready for a deep clean of the classroom. This is the deep clean you thought had already happened but the cleaners have been asked to redo it because some rooms weren't up to standard!!! :mad::mad::mad:

12. Lara mfl 05

That was a 'commiseration like' ctob. I take it this is personal experience? :(

digoryvenn likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

Yeps... :confused:

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Oh no, caterpillar! :( All that hard work.:(:eek:
    I know how you feel. I feel your pain!

Also a 'commiseration like'

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Awww thank you, but it could be worse.

Besides, it is always good to start the year with lots of sympathy from SLT!
    Store up some credit for later in the term. :)

@MrsMusgrove you can always come and work in my school, we have really nice SLT, small classes and no girls!

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This is not the always the case at all. In our schools, middle leaders simply explain to SLT when they need release time and what they need it for, and then they get it.

Key Stage / Subject leaders shouldn't really need regular weekly release time - Where there is an effective SLT, it simply isn't necessary. However, when there are particular jobs that need undertaking, I would expect SLT/HT to agree release time.

If one cries at the thought of returning to work, I suspect it could be about more than release time?

17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No such thing...;)

18. markhorsey

markhorsey New commenter

When I was at my last school and had that Sunday sickly feeling I knew it was time to move on. If you have that feeling move on for your on mental health and well being. Grass might not be greener on the other side but think you’d regret it if you don’t.

MrsMusgrove and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. caterpillartobutterfly

:p

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. MrsMusgrove

Oh no!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.