1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is it the right time to give in?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrsdunkables, May 9, 2016.

1. mrsdunkables

mrsdunkables New commenter

So I've been teaching 13 years and I've made it to HOD (been there for the last 8 years). Since I've started my subject has been totally changed and I'm doing things some better some worse than what I signed up to. Some days I feel like a French teacher teaching mandarin!

Does anyone else feel that's all you do.. Teaching ...and the rest of life is passing you by?

The kids seem to be getting lazier, the paper work more demanding, and the staffing... Well I have dinner ladies supervising GCSE classes as there's no money to pay for qualified staff yet they are still expecting a-c grades so I find myself running up and down corridors teaching three classes at once (and yes I have complained and yes I have sort Union advice. And the response is leave if you don't like it!)

I sometimes think is it my school or is this just the state of education?

Is it just me!?!

noosh likes this.
  2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Sadly, I don't think it is just you. Read the Workplace Dilemmas page to see what I mean.

Have you thought about trying for another school? A bit late now I realise for this September, but there are other schools which seem more organised. Although I have no personal experience of them, I believe independent schools can be more supportive.

Good luck.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I recall teaching other staff's GSCE classes as well as my own . The school had gone into measures and we had difficulty retaining and recruiting. Those who were appointed were just unable to cope with the very demanding children ( Knowsley ) and included two French nationals who went into ' meltdown ' . I was a new ( appointed internally ) Head of Department. It was the days of the newly launched SEG which meant that I also marked coursework and the tapes the students recorded as part of the module. That was about 22 years ago. I recall the then acting Head in a meeting attempting to tell me that not only should I prepare and deliver the course, set work, and crowd control but I should also mark all the exercise books. There was no solution/ support / empathy from her or the rest of the newly formed SLT who were either out of their depth or looking to use the promotion as a stepping stone to greater things. I found this acting Head (but who was later appointed on a permanent basis ) very difficult to respect . I know she wanted the best for the students but her total lack of awareness at this stage in her career destroyed any respect I could have had for her. I recall to this day her asking me to see her in her office directly after this particular H o D meeting.I went home. I was remarkably loyal to the school for several years after but then just moved for promotion. The Chair of Governors rang me after I had taken up my new post to ask if I would return as the school was celebrating coming out of measures ( 4 years ) . I declined.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yours is not the only story like this, @mrsdunkables . In fact, your situation is a lot less severe than many, unfortunately for them. Which does not mean in any way that you are fortunate or that your situation is bearable.

There are 3 possibilities here. Well four, if you include grin-and-bear. :(

1. Move school

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

Get ready for the application season!

2. Move sector

An overview of the Independent sector

Independent Sector FAQs

How much will I earn in the independent sector?

Moving from state to independent

Teachers talk about what it's like working in one Indy School

3. Move career.

Possible other careers

That's about it, really. :(

I am really sorry that all the joy has been taken out of teaching. Really, really sorry.

Best wishes