1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is it safe to return to work after Gastroenteritis?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by LucyEW88, Nov 15, 2011.

1. On early monday morning I woke up feeling very ill and my stomach was not keeping anything in (I won't add anymore detail). Start of Tuesday my stomach was finally keeping stuff in but my appetite has vanished. I'm still having headaches, tummy cramps and feeling a bit rubbish but I feel I could probably teach. My older brother who is a doctor and NHS direct have said I am still infectious for 48 hours after the symptoms go.
    Should I just take tomorrow off or should I ring the school and ask for their official stance? I have a bottle of anti bacterial hand gel and really just wanna get back to be back on track.
    Anyone been in this situation before or know what a school is likely to say?
    Thanks
    L.

2. On early monday morning I woke up feeling very ill and my stomach was not keeping anything in (I won't add anymore detail). Start of Tuesday my stomach was finally keeping stuff in but my appetite has vanished. I'm still having headaches, tummy cramps and feeling a bit rubbish but I feel I could probably teach. My older brother who is a doctor and NHS direct have said I am still infectious for 48 hours after the symptoms go.
    Should I just take tomorrow off or should I ring the school and ask for their official stance? I have a bottle of anti bacterial hand gel and really just wanna get back to be back on track.
    Anyone been in this situation before or know what a school is likely to say?
    Thanks
    L.

3. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

crikey - I wouldn't even try! Stay in bed, get better, and don't pass it round work like an unwanted Christmas present! Tell work you're ill. Because you are.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

He's a doctor! Take his advice!
    Don't ask school - do the sensible thing and stay off till you're fully better and not likely to pass on your horrible germs to other people.
    And bacterial hand gel is seriously over-rated.
    Put your feet up and get better - properly better!