1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is it acceptable to ask about wages

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sami_jones, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I am a secondary teacher and thinking about applying for a job at a state school. Nowhere in the job application or person spec does it say anything about what the wages are.

What is the etiquette on asking about wages?

Kind regards

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo is of course the expert, but as far as I'm aware, if it's an LA school, National Pay Scale is enforced. However if it's an academy (or Independant) then I believe it's slightly different and they set their own rates and scale.
    So presumably whatever your current scale rate is. (You usually have to give your current pay scale on the application form, so they know in advance what you'll cost), so the question probably won't need to be addressed.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm wondering from the first post if the poster is perhaps already employed in an independent school and looking to switch....in which case in theory they could be started on M1 (if they've never worked in a state school before), even if they've got many years of teaching experience. In which case they'd definitely want to bring this up before accepting a job! I'd suggest you wait until you are offered it, then BEFORE you accept, ask about pay.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good point modgepodge as their criterion are different.
    I think Theo might say when accepting the post, something along the lines of subject to contract and rates of pay being agreeable, thereby bringing up the point for clarity. The school would probably know their current rate presumably. I know on all our application form we have to state present salary.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First point of the etiquette is that it isn't called a wage but a salary!
    Go to the TES section about salary scales - calculate how many years you have been teaching, and that shows you which salary point you should be on.
    Information on the latest pay scales
    If you have done 4 and a half years so far, for example, then next Sept you will be on M6.
    Two points. Some people have said that in theory a maintained sector school can put you down to M1, not counting the years in the independent sector/Sixth Form College or whatever. Yes, in theory, they can, but in fact they will not because they know that no-one would take the job on those conditions. So that's the good news.
    Secondly - not so good news - schools have to balance their budgets. Anyone above M3 counts as expensive for them, so they may well prefer to appoint someone cheaper.
    Academies do not have to follow the national pay scales, however, and may offer as much or as little as they wish.
    The time to bring it up is when you are offered the post. At that point you say that next September you will be earning £X; what is the salary that they are offering for this post. Schools normally ask you to state your current pay grade or salary on their application forms, so they will know that they cannot offer you less.
    Do make sure that you give yourself the best possible chance by reading the advice. A summary is can be found here in this thread:
    Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com