1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is interview/job season?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Teapot345, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

Hi

When do most international schools advertise posts for September starts? I've worked abroad in TEFL capacity, returned to UK to do PGCE and get experience under my belt, now considering broadening horizons abroad again.

What's the process for applying?
    Also (appreciate this is a difficult to answer question/country specific, but broadly speaking), would an international teacher salary be likely to support a tag along spouse too?

TIA

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It’s already started, but so far mostly for candidates who have highly desirable qualities. Lots of international experience, science teachers, etc. Only for the exalted. But it’s heating up, heading for a pitch in December through February.
    And yes, usually, depending on the school and your lifestyle expectations.

3. Ne11y

Ne11y New commenter

Hello!

I did something similar to you (tefl+PGCE) and am just out abroad again.

Application season has begun and I'd move quickly if you have a specific location in mind. Many schools advertise here and also through their own sites, but the big recruitment agencies are a great way of having your application managed.

I would go for a mixture of the two: use agencies (the big one associated with searching is free in the UK) and also ping off individual applications if you find a school which interests you.

Having a trailing spouse depends on location. If it's just the two of you, it's quite possible in Eastern Europe, Asia and from what I have heard, the Middle East/Africa. Western Europe and America can be tight, if impossible on one salary. I don't know about South America.

Have a plan in place for your spouse though. Mine is teaching English and it's a difficult career switch, but working fine and means we have a bit extra to save. A colleague has a non-working spouse and they are very, very bored.

Good luck!

4. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

The spouse thing is interesting. My partner has trained teaching status in her home country which has been converted to QTS in England, and also is a trained nurse in England.

I think we’re fortunate in that respect that we can afford for me to take a position and be fairly confident that she’s going to secure something in one of those fields if I do find something.

I don’t think, depending on circumstances (we have two children) that one salary would afford a omfortable lifestyle although if the job in question provided free accomadation then it might be doable.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some good advice from Ne11y. Some silly people send messages to a smelly old African animal. I don't know why.

Ne11y likes this.
  6. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

7. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

It really depends on where you’re interested in. Australia and South American schools generally commence the academic year in January. Asia and Middle East advertise already and from now. North American vacancies already advertise and this continues through the spring. Europe, there will be a few, however, you generally don’t see many adverts until as late as possibly March and with shorter resignation deadlines those continue through to as late as July.
    As for the process: apply! Don’t be shocked and offended if you hear no response or possibly after a great deal of time has elapsed you do get an interview request. There’s no set rule. Salary: look into the cost of living and tax you’ll be paying in the individual country.

8. the hippo

Some very good advice from Teachallover. Yes, lots of schools won't even bother sending you one of those soulless, automated replies. (The world we live in, alas.) Yes, as an old and wrinkled hippo has said many times, that the cost of living and the tax (yes, there are some countries where you have to pay taxes!) need to be taken into account, not just the salary.

The only thing that I would really want to add is TRANSPORT. This can be a major hole in the pocket when you move to a new school and / or a new country, not to mention an inconvenience and a major frustration. Someone once said, "There is no such thing as a second-hand car. There are only new cars, but do you buy your new car all in one go or a piece at a time?" Therefore good, cheap and convenient public transport is a big blessing, as is being close enough to the school to be able to walk or cycle there and back each day.

Teachallover likes this.
  9. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Hiring time is now. Some schools have already asked teachers for their intentions for next year and will be recruiting based off this information.

I would suggest registering with an agency asap.

Good luck.

10. the hippo

Yes, I know that I am supposed to be retired, but recently an interesting teaching job in Sofia came my way. I shall be starting in January!

11. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

@the hippo not sure whether to congratulate or commiserate! Enjoy it anyway!

12. the hippo

Well, I am not starting until January, so I have had a "trial retirement". That is my way of looking at it.

loislane1 and ejclibrarian like this.
  13. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper