1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

When is everyone applying for student finance?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Teacher_Jen, Dec 29, 2011.

  1. The subject title says it all really.
    I know the 2012/13 finance goes live in January 2012. So a few days away now.
    Do I need to get all info from my dad's wages etc as I am under 25 and living at home?
  2. sparkleshine

    sparkleshine New commenter

    It's already gone live - although bear in mind some universities won't have added all their courses to the database yet this early in the cycle. I would say apply ASAP.
    You'll be assessed on your father's income as you're under 25. He'll need to provide an accurate figure for his 2010/11 tax year income on the form, but this is checked with HMRC so you don't need to send in evidence unless there's a discrepancy - in which case you will be informed. If he's separated or divorced he will also need to provide evidence of this, e.g. decree absolute/nisi, solicitor's confirmation letter or recent council tax bill showing 25% single occupancy discount. SFE don't ask for evidence if a parent is single or widowed.
    Good luck with it!
  3. StarbabyCat

    StarbabyCat New commenter

    I may not even have to worry about this if I don't get a place, but if I do...my situation is this; I turn 25 in March, I live with my partner and daughter, we've lived together for a year. Surely its his income? It would seem so stupid that it would be my parents? They don't provide us with any financial support at all!
  4. I have been trying to apply for student finance, I've filled in the initial registration but haven't recieved an email with any information.
    I hope to contact them but can't find a number anywhere, does anyone have a number for them?
  5. As a parent you will,I believe, be classed as an Independent student and the income taken into account will be your partners. This is certainly how it worked for me during my undergraduate degree.

    ETA - sorry, I meant to quote starbabycat in my reply! Useless iPad...
  6. StarbabyCat

    StarbabyCat New commenter

    Thank you very much! Haven't looked into it yet don't want to tempt fate!
  7. sparkleshine

    sparkleshine New commenter

    What others have said is correct, yes - the fact that you have a child would make you independent anyway, but as you turn 25 before the start of the academic year your partner's income will be taken into account.
  8. Hi

    I am also looking for some advice with regards to student finance.

    I live with my boyfriend who has a full time job, i will be giving up mine should i get onto the PGCE. Will they take into account his income or will i have to fill in a section for his income? We have no children and will solely be relying on his income to pay the mortgage, bills etc. Also do you have to apply online or can you request a paper copy application form? Please help!!!


    Claire x
  9. Hi

    Thanks for your reply. Its a bit confusing at times or maybe its just me!! I am 28 so in that case it will be based on my partners income. Do you have to apply online? Is it best to apply for finance even though i have not got an offer from a uni?


  10. sparkleshine

    sparkleshine New commenter

    You don't have to apply online, but it's by far the quickest way. If you want a paper form just ring up SFE and they'll send you one. Yes it's best to apply ASAP - it's easy to change your uni/course details later on if you need to and you don't need to have a firm offer in place.
  11. Brilliant, thanks for all your help
    Claire xx
  12. casperino

    casperino New commenter


    I am 26 and have been accepted onto a course in September. I'm currently employed full time in London, but I plan to give up my job move hundreds of miles to where my course is. I am single and will have nothing to live on but the finance I get from SFE by the time I start the course.

    I'm in a bit of a quandary... will SFE judge my entitlement on my past earnings even if I won't be earning anything whilst on the course? I earn a good salary at the moment, and I'm concerned that this will negatively effect how much finance I'm entitled to! Any ideas?
  13. sparkleshine

    sparkleshine New commenter

    As you're over 25 and single you will be automatically assessed for full entitlement (as long as you apply to be means tested). Your income won't be taken into account.
  14. casperino

    casperino New commenter

    Thanks - I actually got my loan entitlement back and you're right, they've given me maximum everything, which is a huge relief (although I'm still considering getting a part-time job to keep myself 'comfortable')!
  15. sparkleshine

    sparkleshine New commenter

    Glad to hear it went well for you. I don't think I could handle a part-time job as well as a PGCE, my job right now has long hours but nothing like what we can expect on a teacher training course.
  16. anyone a parent and applying for finance? its very confusing? when I add each child, it asks for finance, do I add in my husband's annual salary here? for each child? no idea lol!
  17. StarbabyCat

    StarbabyCat New commenter

    Jenny did you ask this question over on TSR [​IMG] I answered you over there!
  18. ml01omm

    ml01omm New commenter

    Do you need an unconditional offer to apply for finance? Birmingham have offered me a conditional offer ( based on CRB check, health check, and proof I have arranged a primary school visit) and it may take me a few weeks to get all the stuff organised to meet the conditions.
  19. i did lol!! [​IMG]
  20. Did mine as soon as I got my offer - knowing my brain, I would have forgotten otherwise LOL!!
    Never done it before, so hopefully all is OK! :)

Share This Page