1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is an issue serious

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by mrandmrsscience, Oct 13, 2018.

1. mrandmrsscience

mrandmrsscience New commenter

Been a bad couple of weeks so far but this week had an incident I took as serious. Student removed from my lesson for refusing to put down chemicals in a prac and laughing at me when I attempted to get him to do so. In returned to collect his report at the end, on report as he had JUST come back from exclusion, I handed him his report as the class were standing behind chairs ready for dismissal and told
    Him to go. He then stood in front of my door, foot against it hand on handle and said nah I’m not gonna go, laughing hysterically. He refused to go. Refused to let the class go. I took this as a serious issue for safety and also intimidating behavior. I emailed head of house who said why are you telling me it’s a department issue. Bearing in mind he is on behavioural report with her and on the report there is no space to write this. I’ve had no one ask anything more about it. Nor punish him. I spoke to union who said a incident form should be filled in. Am I overreacting?!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

No, you definitely are not overreacting.

As you say, he is serious issue for safety and intimidating behaviour. What really concerns me is the chemicals in the practical.

Do as your union suggests and fill in an incident form - that way you have yourself covered.

Let the his HoY know and the department know. Keep a copy for yourself and log in a diary to keep at home ( not on a school computer) everything regarding this student.

From your previous posts, this school sounds as though they are not managed very well and in the end, you may need to find a school that is better managed and supportive. If you teach science, you might not have too much trouble finding another post.

Eight years ago, there was a terrible story about a science teacher who broke under the stress and lost control when dealing with badly behaved students in their lessons.

If the management are not treating the behaviour you describe as serious, it is time for you to look for a school that will even if that means moving abroad and working internationally.

JohnJCazorla and forthejoyofit like this.
  3. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

I don't think you are overreacting. You have to wonder what effect this student's behaviour has on the rest of the class.
    I do think the Head of House was less than helpful, avoiding doing anything to sort this student out. I wonder what discussion was had with him when he returned from exclusion? He still thinks he is in charge.
    I am sorry you have had to put up with this; teaching is tough enough as it is. You should fill in an incident form for the records. He might do it again.

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  4. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

This would warrant a serious incident form in my experience. Do you know what the procedure is in your school? If not, is there someone you can ask?

The behaviour is serious - and demonstrated in front of the rest of your students. Preventing other students from leaving the room is unacceptable and I would expect any misbehaviour in a Science lab to be taken more seriously due to the potential risks involved. Then the intimidating behaviour towards you cannot be allowed to have no consequences either. I would expect a student to be removed from your class for this, either for a period of time, or permanently.

I think you are right to pursue this. Can you try your head of department first to get some support and put in place a strategy for this child for your subject. Then this should be communicated to the heads of year/SLT in charge of behaviour.

Be firm. You deserve support and shouldn't have to put up with behaviour like that. Without sanctions, you can't function as a teacher so ask for those systems to get moving. Serious incident form, review of targets - this should have happened especially since he just returned from being excluded - and parental involvement.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Have you reported the incident to the hod as advised also?