1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is a good time to move schools?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Rosestevo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Dear all,
    I am an NQT and managed to land myself a job in a positive and supportive school. I have a Year 7 tutor group, who I will hopefully tutor until they leave in Year 11.
    I am really happy there (apart from drowning in lesson planning!) and would really like to see my form all the way through the school, as I feel that this will be valuable experience.
    Career-wise, it may make sense to look for another post at the end of those 5 years.... however, due to the big 3-0 creeping nearer and nearer, my partner and I are planning on starting our family in the next few years. However, I have no desire to move school while having small children/babies at home. I would love to continue teaching (probably part time) post maternity leave... and it would be so much easier to stay at my current school.
    Therefore, these are my questions;
    Will it reflect badly on my CV if I remain at my first school for 8/9/10 years?!
    If I move to a new school as a part time teacher, will I find it difficult to establish myself with the pupils as I won't constantly be around?
    Is moving to a new school as manic as completing your NQT year (in terms of planning different lessons, establishing yourself etc etc.)
    I know that I am planning ahead here, but that's who I am!
    Any advice/experience will be gratefully received!

2. Dear all,
    I am an NQT and managed to land myself a job in a positive and supportive school. I have a Year 7 tutor group, who I will hopefully tutor until they leave in Year 11.
    I am really happy there (apart from drowning in lesson planning!) and would really like to see my form all the way through the school, as I feel that this will be valuable experience.
    Career-wise, it may make sense to look for another post at the end of those 5 years.... however, due to the big 3-0 creeping nearer and nearer, my partner and I are planning on starting our family in the next few years. However, I have no desire to move school while having small children/babies at home. I would love to continue teaching (probably part time) post maternity leave... and it would be so much easier to stay at my current school.
    Therefore, these are my questions;
    Will it reflect badly on my CV if I remain at my first school for 8/9/10 years?!
    If I move to a new school as a part time teacher, will I find it difficult to establish myself with the pupils as I won't constantly be around?
    Is moving to a new school as manic as completing your NQT year (in terms of planning different lessons, establishing yourself etc etc.)
    I know that I am planning ahead here, but that's who I am!
    Any advice/experience will be gratefully received!

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It will not reflect badly per se, but you will not have the wider experience that you get by teaching in other schools.
    I don't think that this will be a problem. Obviously it will be easier at the school that you are currently in because you are a known quantity and you know how everything works.
    It is not manic in those terms. It is more a case of getting used to a new system, with new ways of doing things, new ideas and all that. If you move home there is also the additional time required to get to know where all the shops are, doctor and dentist's surgeries etc. etc.
    I have moved schools five times in the last 15 years including four different countries. You get used to it and it isn't all that difficult.

4. Hi Karvol,
    Thanks for your reply, you seem to clarify what I have been thinking... that it won't be 'bad' to stay at my first school long term, but it won't be brilliant either.
    And in terms of moving areas I have plenty of experience with that, about 30 'house' moves in the last 5 years, including several countries... I think this is something to do with why I want to stay in one place for a while!!
    Many thanks for your thoughts...