1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when is a child expected to get a secure level 1 in maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

When is a child expected to get a secure level 1 in maths?

2. In Year 1... this should ensure they are level 2 by end of KS1

If a child is I9 in EYFS, then they will probably be woking within level 1.

3. mystery10

Thanks, so does this imply that to be a level 3 by end of KS1, it would be useful to be sort of level 1 by the end of reception - as otherwise there's an awful lot of ground to cover in year 1 and year 2?

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

For children to achieve a level 3 in maths at the end of Key Stage 1, I'd expect them to be on point 9 for PSRN at the end of Reception. The EYFS doesn't equate to the National Curriculum, and all the guidance spells out the fact that the early learning goals and National Curriculum levels are completely different, and one shouldn't be used to predict the other. But point 9 is only awarded for children working beyond the Early Learning Goals ie at a National Curriculum level.

5. mystery10

How would you get to this level in a reception class that did not cover much at all of the stuff that you would need to get a level 1? And how then would a child get to level 3 after a year in such a reception class?
    It's unlikely that they will discover the level 1 "syllabus" for themselves while in reception, unless the activities are structured incredibly carefully, and there is a reasonable amount of adult input into their mathematical development.

6. mystery10

In case I wasn't clear, I meant to say, how would a child get to level 3 at the end of KS1 if they hadn't got to level 1 at the end of reception, and how would they get to level 5 if they didn't get to level 3 at the end of KS1?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

None of my children currently working at 2a (so on track for level 3) or 3c scored 9 on the profile in reception

8. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

There is a lot to catch up on even if the child is PSRN 9 in early years.
    However some kids just learn incredibly quick. I have two children who came up as 9's in maths and at first I was doubtful but they are genuinely amazing kids. Both are currently working at secure level 2 and show no signs of slowing. I only have to show them something once and they have got it.

9. Msz

I have 2 who came up as 7s and are doing elements of Y4 maths

10. Children all learn at different levels- they can plateau and their progress can peak. I've got a little girl who came up to me as a point 5 and is now suddenly one of the quickest mentally and working at 1a/2c level in year 1.

11. Msz

Exactly a score of 9 on the profile no more guarantees a level 3 than a score of 5 excludes it.

12. so what is your child doing to show evidence of a 1a/2c and within that what numbers are they working with? i would say 50.... please help as this is a sticking point at the mo for me!