1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is a breast storke just swimming?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by ian60, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Sorry to intrude on this site, but maybe you can help me.
    We have a daughter (7) who is very happy and confident in all areas of the pool.

When doing breast stroke, she keeps her head down for 2 or maybe 3 strokes.

Should I be just happy she's swimming. Or should I be encouriging here to go Breath/ Stroke/Breath//Stroke
    Thanks

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Her stroke is probably breaking ASA rules if her head does not break the surface of the water every cyclic stroke.
    I suspect also that if she "buries" her head in the water then her body position will be incorrect as in her backside will be too high in the water. Does she have a "screw kick"?
    Is she performing too wide, sweeping an arm action?
    Maybe try to encourage her to swim with a minimal/no arm action...this will encourage a stronger leg action and maybe encourgae a deeper leg carriage in the water so her head does break the water better so she might as well breathe:)
    Breathing every stroke will hopefully prevent her becoming out of breath too

She is already swimming and she cannot really go backwards...so the hard part is done :)

3. I bet he's booking their flights now....