1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When is 99.2% not conclusive?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Nov 6, 2018.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

No, not a referendum or a brexit thread (though perhaps we should reassess the significance of 52/48 in the light of this)

A man disappears. A badly burned body is found, DNA tested and found to have a 99.2% probability of being that of the disappeared. The family buries the body and gets on with life.

Two months later the dead man, or 0.8% of him, walks through the door.

https://news.sky.com/story/back-fro...wo-months-after-burial-in-kazakhstan-11546089

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Don't we share 96% of our DNA with apes?
    (Mind you, could it just be a case of suboptimal DNA testing in Kazakhstan?)

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Isn't it something like 35, percent daffodil, 50 banana, 95 ape and 99 with everybody else. So perhaps 99.2 isn't high enough?
    Or is there a mysterious twin?

sparkleghirl likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

According to 23andme even my daughter only shares 50% of my DNA. On 23 segments. Does this mean I gave birth to a banana? I loathe bananas!

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

According to the American Museum of Natural History, humans and chimpanzees share 98.8% of their DNA. Some 75% of our genetic make-up is the same as a pumpkin - 57% the same as a cabbage.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A stroll through the streets around here confirms most of that.

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Your DNA and that of your ex-husband are not two totally different substances. Your DNA matches that of any other human being to more than 90% I think so your daughter should have, maybe, half the difference not half the DNA.

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Well, judging by some of the 'students' I have taught in the past.....

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Apologies to Colpee who beat me to that last gag!

colpee likes this.