1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When interviewing for Catholic primary teacher, whose opinion carries more sway?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Trapin1, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

I'm an NQT applying for a job I am currently contracted to for 2 terms (having done lots of supply at the school previously). I knew from the outset that the permanent post would be advertsied because the head said she wanted an experienced teacher, but she said I would be elligible to apply when the time came having gained sufficient experience. I guess I was hoping that I might have impressed her enough for her not to bother advertising, but for reasons best known to her, the governors and the parish priest, she has. I haven't received any hint as to whether I stand a good chance of getting the job despite the fact that I know she is very happy with the way I have fitted in and raised standards in my yr5/6 class. What I am curious to know is who, if anyone, has the greater say in appointing the successful candidate? Will it be the head, the priest or a democtratic decision by the whole panel? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The head usually has the most 'say' and the final decision - if the panel don't agree - is usually with the head because s/he, after all, has to manage staff and ensure standards.
    I note that the head never led you to believe that the post wouldn't be advertised - she merely said you would be 'eligible to apply'. It may well be governing body policy always to advertise.
    Further, it's more than her job's worth to lead you to believe you'll get the job - you might perform badly on the day OR there might be a candidate who is clearly better than you.

3. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Thank you yet again, Middlemarch. I'm always grateful for your advice and replies.

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

In my experience, as a parent Governor who has been involved in 3 interviews for teachers, it was the parish priest who had the final say on the candidate if they had satisfied the HT with regard to the education side as it were.
    All schools are different though. Good luck.

5. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Thanks, breadmaker. I am aware that Catholic candidates will be given preference if equally weighted on the skills and abilites etc. Ah well, fingers crossed.