1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when in teaching career to have a baby?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by brahmslove, May 1, 2011.

1. Just finishing my NQT year, and feel myself torn between the following two paths:
    Starting a family
    and
    Preparing to apply for a head of department role
    If I have a baby in the next couple of years will it hold me back from progressing in the teaching profession?
    If I wait until after I get a head of department post will it prevent me maintaining that position and potential advancement into senior management?
    Is it possible to be both a good mum and have the career you want?
    Any advice would be welcome as the only advice I've had from others at my school is that after surrounding myself with other people's kids all day I would be nuts to want my own!

2. I know of two schools in the UK who made NQTs HODs.
    I find it ridiculous, but if schools are offering and promoting it, you cannot blame those applying.
    Personally, at that young age, I would not be wondering but concentrating on one thing.
    I think, and I know it sounds very uppity, that I am in a much better position to judge and juggle than someone who is a mere mite of a thing in their twenties.
    I can do both, as can RF. But I bet we both learnt from the pique and didn't expect miracles.

3. Why shouldn't an NQT think they could be suitable as a HOD? I'm an NQT and I plan to one day become a HOD or even further. That's what some people would call career aspirations.
    As for when to have a family, personally I plan to have one after I have obtained some sort of responsibility, whether that be KS Coordinator or something else. Nothing is as of yet set in stone and like another poster has said I can plan all I like but ultimately it's down to nature.
    I personally feel that once I have began establishing my career and I am earning a sizeable salary I will be in a much more financially stable position to start a family. You might feel that you would rather have kids young and then focus on your career. Like other posters have said do it when it feels right. But do look into how long you need to have been working to get full maternity benefits etc and try to plan for when money will be a bit tight.
    Coming from a family that didn't have a lot growing up - some of my most vivid memories where those of my mum struggling to put food on the table and clothes on our back. My mum worked damn hard to bring us up, a struggle I know she doesn't want for me.
    Either way good luck

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Errrr ... lack of experience?

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

Give the OP her due, she did think for 2 years before posting it!

6. You don't have the experience.
    Sorry, but some of us sweated blood to get were we are, with or without kids.
    As an NQT, you have NO idea what being an HOD involves. No way.
    And don't come that "my mother struggled to put food on the table". So did mine. So did I!
    There is no way to avoid those first few years of gaining experience. It is not laid in the cradle.
    It is *** normal - and the problem today is that many young folk think they can work their way up within 5 minutes.
    No, you cannot.
    And neither can you learn to be a parent or plan for it.

7. Fair enough ... missed that bit

8. i don't expect to become a HOD over night just as I am sure the OP doesn't either. Hence why she has asked if she should spend the next few year building a career before starting a family or have a family and build a career later.
    And as I said I hope to one day become a HOD.
    This is the problem with TES and probably why the OP has waited 2 years to post. Too many of you are incredibly judgemental and pick fault when less experianced and younger teachers come on here looking for genuine support and advice.
    Maybe you should use your experiance to help us rather than attack us and put us down

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

That isn't what the OP asked.

10. Well, it was

Troll/sock/whatever ... the OP did ask about having a baby or preparing for HoD

11. T o add to my post Celtic Queen I have always found your posts to be incredibly friendly and helpful. I have appreciated your comments in Cookery several times.
    Perhaps we have inadvertantly touched a nerve with this whole NQT/HOD thing but please appreciate that when I talk about becoming a HOD I mean in the future once I've worked my way up.

12. Charlene, I mean this nicely - but it's experiEnce.

'Tis a word you may use on your applications for HOD positions. You don't want to miss out because of incorrect spelling...

13. Thank you CoffeeKid my spelling is terrible. Can I send my future applications to you for proof-reading [​IMG]

14. Sure. Just don't ask me to spell obssessive though, i always get it wrong.

15. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Surely a lot depends on what dept. it is! I wouldn't imagine somebody who teaches English or Maths would aspire to being a HOD after one year but in a small school with a head of humanities perhaps head of RE or History is realistic.I'm a bit perplexed by one or two of these comments to be honest!

16. Give me a break.
    So RE and History are not important?
    You'll be telling me next that MFL is really not necessary and anyone can teach it.

17. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Of course they are important, just a lot smaller and in a small school could then perhaps be manageable for a relatively new teacher. Sorry if I caused anyone to be upset.

18. ?
    So, let me see. What should be taught and who is more important?
    Should MFL not be taught in Primary? If not, why not?
    Why is it a smaller subject?

19. Can you teach MFL?

20. At my school

English department: 13 staff, 3 Key Stages, 3 A levels, Headteacher insists on going on and on about the results of the department at every staff meeting.

RE department: 2 teachers, one exam group at GCSE, results are never spoken about.