1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When Gran Was a Girl topic

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Elle333, Dec 31, 2010.

1. I had this for a topic a few years ago. Given that some of the Grans were younger than me, I had 2 Grans. One based on my late grandmothers and their way of life and a modern Grandmother based on modern day living.

Pupils were able to make lots of comparisons and it became very topical with the parents too!

Hope this helps.

2. Thank you! Did you have a set plan you followed? What kinds of activities did you do?

3. Apologies for delay in replying. Give me a couple of days - go back to work on Wednesday - to check with infant teachers how they will cover this topic given CfE - I covered this under 5-14 about 6/7 years ago.

Best wishes

4. Great, thank you x

5. Hi there,
    I have just finished this topic with my P2 as part of my probation year. I found this website really good for whole class teaching - http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/eng/vtc-home/vtc-ks1-home/vtc-ks1-history%282%29/vtc-ks1-history-past_and_present. I used mini topics within the topic such as washing where we compared past and present and used an actual washboard, games past and present for outdoor learning etc. We had the Glasgow planner but tbh I just used this as a starting point.
    I also used Katy Morag's Two Grandmothers as a stimulus for writing and drama, there are a few resources on this site which came in handy.

6. My naughty little sister books are great too - particularly for washing day.

7. Hi,
    I did this topic a few years ago when I was a probationer. I followed the topic plan etc as you were expecteed to, but found as others have highlighted here that it does not always apply to many of the pupils in your class. I had a large number of pupils whose grandparents lived in Pakistan, and trying to push through a topic about room & kitchen tennemant flats didn't really work! Maybe you could talk to your class about what they think about when their granny was young, and construct the topic around what they would like to find out.

8. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

That is certainly true. An innocent topic such as 'When Gran Was a Girl' can involve some sensitive areas.
    Apart from the obvious one that it is very gender specific, there is no knowing what family issues it might raise, especially where there are second families involved.
    Also the grandparents of todays P2s will have been born at any time from about the mid-1940s until about the mid-1960s, so what they will have experienced in childhood will be very different.
    I would suggest that this is a topic that is best tackled from the experience of the children themselves, rather than from some prepared school plan.
    A possible starting point is to find out from the children what names they use for their grandparents eg gran, granny, grandma, grandad, grampa, gramps etc. They may use different versions for different sides of the family to avoid confusion, or include the first name eg Grampa John.
    The toys their grandparents played with as children may also be of interest to the class. Some will be the same like dolls and bikes but, of course, they would not have had computers, electronic games or TVs in their bedrooms. Some of them may still have some of their old toys or at least a photograph of them playing with them.
    If a child brings in information about a great grandparent, you could use that to introduce them to a simple family tree, although it goes without saying that a young child's concept of time is very limited. Collecting pictures of how people dressed in the days of their parents, grandparents and great grandparents is one way of illustrating the differences - ah, come back Laura Ashley, all is forgiven!
    It goes without saying that this topic is a great opportunity to get some of the grandparents to talk to the children about their own childhoods provided you can get around the problem of Disclosure Scotland.
    Good luck.

9. Hi Elle333

Did you have any luck with your staff about When Gran Was a Girl topic? x