1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When does your school finish for the holiday?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by caramel, Jul 16, 2011.

1. I am interested to know when different areas of the country finish. I know different counties vary. I have five days to go and am counting every one. When do you finish and how long will you stay away from school? Some staff are talking about going in on the first monday they are off to 'tidy up and sort out'

2. I'm Hants too- HOW LATE??!! School is open first two and last two days of the hols but i will be on maternity leave as from September so plan on going in Thurs 28th and that's it for a year! :)

3. In my village, school closing dates are all over the shop due to schools being able to choose when to take the extra training days that the Welsh Assembly Govt gave us. My niece finished on Friday and their teachers are in Mon and Tues for training days. My daughters finish on Tuesday as they have already had their training days earlier in the year. My school are in on Monday and have a training day on Tuesday. It works for me. Mine will go to school Tues and I will go to work, but I will be able to work through lunch and pick them up from their school at the end of their last day.
    I intend to go in for a day in the first week to move some stuff around, throw some junk away and get a few things ready (although I secretly hope I'll get more done on the training day than I expect and won't need to!) and then I go in for a day in the last week to collect all my requisition and get it ready for my class.
    The rest of the time the place might not as well exist (although I am happy to browse for new ideas and strategies that will help the kids in my new class over the holidays!)

4. golf girl

golf girl New commenter

We finished on the 8th of July!

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We finish on Friday at 1.30. I am starting a new job and will go in for a day or 2 to set up my new classroom but thats it. I will have to stay late over the next week to clear my current room. I will have to spend time planning at home though, and getting my head around a ks change!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Please tell me you are in Scotland and go back in August?

7. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

We finish on Friday at 1.30. Due to playscheme being in for the first 2 weeks of the holidays I won't be going in until the last week.

8. Thursday is our last day - Friday we're off in lieu of the royal wedding.

9. Wotton

Wotton Occasional commenter

Wed 20th kids finish, staff were to finish Friday 22nd but we did some twilight inset so finish on 20th aswell. Most will be in Thur and Fri sorting out and setting up for Sept.

10. Friday 29th July. Ughh! At least we finish at noon.

11. The school im at in Scotland finished on Friday 1st July and staff go back on Monday 15th August while the kids go back on Tuesday 16th

12. We finish on Thursday (I'm HLTA). The children finish at 1.30pm. If we have done everything on job list we can finish at 3p.m instead of 3.15! Teachers can only go in after the first two weeks.

13. Isn't that a Sunday????
    Spare a thought for us Education Officers, who will be working all through the summer holidays with Family Learning activities and start again with School visits as soon as the schools do in September. Our planning and preparation has to be fitted round everything else.

14. I'm in Scotland and we finished at 1 o'clock on 24th of June.We return on Monday 22nd of August, the children the next day. We seem to have gained an extra week this year not sure why but very much welcomed !

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Apparently it is. I have totally got it in my brain that we go back on the 4th and the children on the 6th...apparently they don't come back until the 7th! YEAH!!!!

16. We also finish on Tuesday 26th at 1pm, followed by a hog roast bbq:) I will also go in at least once during the holidays to prep the room etc.

17. karentee

karentee New commenter

27th July here too, it's been a VERY long half term and the end seems nowhere in sight!! Don't think we go back much later in September either.

18. The school i work at in Sunderland finish on Thursday 21st at 1.45pm instead of 2.55pm

19. Thanks for all the replies. We finish tomorrow at 2:30pm, as usual. Hope everyone has a few weeks to relax before starting again.