1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When does WRS begin to ease off?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by splittinghairs, Dec 11, 2018.

1. splittinghairs

splittinghairs New commenter

Just the question in my title really.

I’m entering week three of being off with WRS. I’m still feeling anxious and tearful. Even with stupid things that aren’t anything to do with work - I felt incredibly overwhelmed doing the groceries at the weekend.

How long before you began to feel somewhat normal again if you have been off with WRS in the past?

ATfan likes this.
  2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

It takes as long as it takes, which I know isn’t helpful.

Give it time, be kind to yourself. Don’t push a recovery and don’t force it. You will have some long term issues from this, just an increased sensitivity to stress situations, but it doesn’t stop you from getting back to being you. Time to heal is what you need.

3. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

Also, some people are never well enough to go back to teaching and completely burnt out. Some just need a change of environment when they feel better to return so that it doesn’t happen again. Once your excitement for it starts to come back you will know. It’s a slow process and it takes time. 6 months wouldn’t even be unreasonable.xxx

4. MsBehaving

MsBehaving New commenter

Couldn't agree more with @Moony

Stress is exactly that - stress. Giving it additional titles such as PTSD or WRS only gives you a starting point to understand it. I think I always bang on about kindness but you need it from others and yourself. I hope that you are getting support whether it is family or friends...but most definitely keep seeing your GP, a good one who nods knowingly when you mention teaching is worth their weight in gold. Are you able to access counselling? Have you considered yoga or meditation? What I mean is have you really given yourself "me time"? It might sound strange but as teachers we spend all our time trying to be perfect; we are held to some of the highest standards around... all that self-imposed reflection can be too much. I know people are probably saying enjoy your time off but the nature of the beast is that you are most likely your own worst critic. Your mind and body most likely need a time out.

I don't know your situation but are you able to just get away for even a weekend alone or with friends or family? Stress can change a person (studies show it's affect on our brain chemistry) and I don't write this in a pessimistic way - you now know when to draw the line. That's to be commended! There are too many heartbreaking stories of humans being broken by jobs! Accept that you have to look after yourself in order to do anything for anyone else. Your body has told you it's exhausted, rest, rest and then rest some more.

Truly all the best

ATfan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. splittinghairs

splittinghairs New commenter

Thanks for the advice.

Before ending up off with stress I had already accepted a job in a different school for January. I had a visit there last week and by the end of the day I felt stressed out again. All I was given was some information about the curriculum, class lists and a timetable so nothing that should really make me feel overwhelmed. But it did. I’m worried I won’t be able to cope when I’m due to start after Christmas. :(

6. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

To fully recover? For me, 4 years and new job with a supportive and efficient line manager. When did I feel like I had a better quality of lie? After 6 weeks when my anti depressants reached the 'therapeutic dose level'. 3 weeks is still very early days and I echo what the others have said about individual differences. However, I hear you. I remember getting anxious about standing in a line in my local bakery and that was after 4 weeks. I promise you that the feelings will pass though if you take care of yourself and don't go back to work (or be forced to do so) before you're ready.

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I am in week 4 of being off, and as @MsBehaving says, it's important to be kind to yourself. My meds have now kicked in and I feel much more stable. I am doing one form of exercise every day, ie a long walk, a swim or a yoga class. I also try and see one friend (or my mum) every day because I think it's important to connect socially with other people you feel comfortable with. I have not been drinking alcohol and as a result I have been sleeping really well. I am definitely starting to feel better, but I am treating it like a plan of action. I think if I didn't, I'd probably just stay in bed all day and get more depressed. The other thing to say is keep posting on here, I have found it so helpful. There are many of us who are in, or have been in, the same situation. The Education Support Partnership helped me when I was at my worst. When I phoned them I was crying so much but I had a notebook and pen to hand and I wrote down the advice they gave me and it really helped to be able to refer back to it. Sending you my best wishes, do keep posting. x

Presleygirl, Moony and ATfan like this.
  8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Depending on how severe the WRS/anxiety was it could take longer.

ATfan and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Presleygirl

Presleygirl Occasional commenter

So I’m not the only one

10. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

I know, and sometimes you never recover from it and can never return to the same environment again. Complete burn out from the stress.xxx

11. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I have a friend that can’t go back to work full stop.