1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When does tutoring pick up?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ssduns, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ssduns

ssduns New commenter

Anyone finding this half-term to be quiet with respect to tutoring. Last year was super busy from as early as August. So far this year seems to be quiet. Are you guys noticing the same thing or is it just me?

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I usually get busy around the time of the first parent evening

blue451 and needabreak like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Similar to last year, except I've deliberately cut down and turned several potential students away.

needabreak likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I only want to tutor a little, and I have already turned somebody away.

needabreak likes this.
  5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

What area are you in? I have had a lot more referrals via recommendations but I have noticed a lot less on the tutoring websites. It tends to get really busy after mocks that's when I usually start turning people away.

needabreak likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Outer South East London. I get everything from recommendations and contacts. Surprisingly, my best source has been my running club.

7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Also south east London. I was only on one tutoring website (TH) and disabled my profile about 18 months ago so I can't comment on any change there.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have had a few sniffs of interest from TH but noticeably more parents try to knock the price down to silly levels, or set their own rate, with a 'take it or leave it' attitude.

SayItLikeItIs likes this.
  9. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Maybe it depends on age group. I'm in a grammar area and offer 11+ tuition. I'm fully booked and turning new people down most weeks.

10. ssduns

ssduns New commenter

That's what's happenign with me. Last year I got tons from the tutoring websites. This year, not much so far. Most of are finding me locally instead. I am in East London.

11. ssduns

ssduns New commenter

Yes, what's up with that? I am getting parents insisting that I reduce my rate by 5 or 10 pounds. But I do stand my ground and tell them they can get a cheaper rate at the local tuition centres.

SayItLikeItIs likes this.
  12. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have never had that but I know what the answer would be!

13. BG54

BG54 New commenter

I'm in NW England and like you my numbers from recommendations or taking on siblings of previous students are significantly up on this time last year but the level of enquiries from the tuition agencies are well down this year.

Also I usually pick up a few Monday to Friday daytime students - adults or home-schooled - but so far none at all for the first time since I started tuition 5 years ago.

14. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I am in the NW too! There just seems to be less traffic to the site. If you Google tutors (area) TH used to be the first one that came up but now there is loads of different sites and agencies and tutition centres but that the free market for you! I am just glad I am getting so many referrals.

BG54 likes this.
  15. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I'm busier than last year but still not fully booked (I'm up to 75%). I get a lot of work from TH and TF both of which I find very good. I work in the rural south west and have found year by year there are more tutors advertising so I suppose it is becoming more competitive. The reality being that most secondary comprehensives have a number of extreme problems ranging from recruiting qualified mathematicians and physicists to the bad behaviour of students. So until the government sort out these issues tutors will stay in business. My local school that has recently been built at the cost of millions has a 9-5 pass rate in English and Maths of just over 25% despite a good OFSTED rating. Given this we will always have work.

16. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

New students can be like buses ... you wait ages for one and then a few come along at the same time. But, to echo langteacher, it seems that they sometimes come along after parents evenings. I got quite a few enquiries just before the start of term this year, but most of them seemed to have a similar attitude to that described by Jolly_Roger15. One of the parents who tried to knock me down was a lawyer - even though my hourly rate would have been a small fraction of hers!

ssduns likes this.
  17. SayItLikeItIs

I wasn't so diplomatic with the lawyer who tried to knock me down!

18. SayItLikeItIs

Oh, and another enquiry from a parent who had just returned from their 'well-earned' exotic family holiday who pleaded poverty but wanted tips & advice and basically anything I was prepared to let her have for free because she thought weekly tuition sessions were be a considerable investment which she wasn't sure would bear fruit.

19. suzette

suzette New commenter

The people that can clearly afford it are the worse. I had a woman whose husband was an investment banker, they had three top of the range BMW's, Range Rover's & a classic Porsche in their drive way. A front and back garden the size of a football pitch and a huge flashy house. She wanted me to tutor their son and daughter at a discounted price claiming that they couldn't afford it. Not to mention the fact that when I was tutoring them, they didn't so much as offer me a glass of water, but would bring copious amounts of snacks and drinks for them during the course of the lesson!!! I think the more wealthy people are, the tighter they become!!!

20. suzette

suzette New commenter

Not busy at all at the moment. I might have to do a 'promotional run' in the local libraries, supermarkets etc to try and drum up business. But then again I'm due to start tutoring English and Functional skills in a prison soon, so that's going to give me an added income.

ssduns likes this.