1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do you..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gremlin01, Mar 12, 2011.

1. turn the heating off?
    I can't wean myself off having the heating on! At half term I took it off timer, but towards the end it felt colder so put it back on. I like having it come on in the morning to motivate me to get up, but seem to have it still on for a couple of hours in the evening. This is going to cost me a fortune I imagine!! Is it unusual to still have the heating on in March?

2. I hate being cold. I turn the thermostat up or down depending on whether I am in/out/in bed. There is no central heating in the kitchen so through the winter I have a convector heater in there and there is also a plinth heater which is on when I am in there. I am sure my bills are ridiculous but I can't be cold. My quilt is 13.5, and I have an electric blanket as well. It is only March, and pretty chilly most of the time - I am amazed that people don't have their heating on!

3. Only had mine on when it snowed.
    Haven't had it on since January.
    I absolutely loathe central heating - gives me headaches and dries my nose out [​IMG]
    I much prefer warm woolly socks and a jumper.
    Although today I am sitting here in a pair of jogging pants and a sleeveless t-shirt.

4. Am I the only person who doesn't have central heating?
    My electric fire goes on in the mornings and evenings. And that's it.
    When i am doing a clean at the weekends I try to open windows and doors to air out the house.

Agree with you there CQ.

5. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Sadly no choice in our house as the boiler packed up a week ago! It had been making a terrible noise for a couple of weeks but as I had it serviced just before Christmas, I blamed it on our son for having huge baths and thinking that maybe air had got into the system.
    Luckily the immersion is still working but I hate having near bolling water shooting out of the taps when washing my hands.
    Major works starting in a week's time - new boiler and tank which should hopefully be more economical and efficient.
    I can't really complain as it is over 30 years old. But I hate being cold! It's usually warmer outside than in so when not at work have been gardening and cleaning windows. In the evenings we rely on the gas fire in the lounge. I've put the extra layer back on the duvet and got out the hot water bottle again. Wearing more layers and a scarf around the house.

6. Having no hot water is a bain.
    I grew up in a house with no central heating and we only had hot water if we lit the kitchen coke boiler.
    In my flat, which is typically German, the hot water and the heating are separate. So I have hot water even if I do not turn the heating on.
    I love the comfort of hot water as soon as you switch the tap on - but I hate central heating, so am glad that it is separate.
    I always get caught out when in the UK - I will fill up the bath and wonder why after a while the water is running cold [​IMG]

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Mine is on from 8am till 10pm every day and has been all winter. I can't bear to feel cold or to come into a cold house. I'd rather economise on other things in order to be able to pay the huge heating bills. And, as Lily has said, this is the longest and nastiest winter I remember. I have to keep telling myself, though, that although we have rotten winters we don't have earthquakes and tsunamis.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yes, I had been pretty miffed on discovering that the cold had actually killed off a pretty fine acacia in the garden - until the earthquate and tsunami struck. It does help to put things in perspective: we have so much to be grateful for, living on this island, as damp and as cold as it can be.

9. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

We have storage heaters and they're still on, but I have turned the input down on them. I can't use the one in my bedroom as it dries out my throat, nose and eyeballs! So in there we have one of those oil-filled heaters which we put on for an hour or so before bed - but we've not done that since January now, and we've not used hot water bottles for a few weeks either.
    We also have a calor gas heater in the living room as storage heaters are **** of an evening for giving out heat - but we've not had to use that for weeks either.

10. I never have the central heating on, OH and I are plenty warm enough in the lounge with the gas fire on, and can't see the point of having the radiators on in the 2 spare bedrooms, the kitchen is always warm cos I cook a lot, I suppose the only room to get cold is the bathroom, but then, I am in and out of the shower within minutes.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

Our CH boiler is permanently on 24hrs - we use the thermostat to regulate whether it switches on or not.
    HW is on timed to ensure water in the morning (not much needed) and evening (lots needed as kids need lomg bath/shower most eveings).

12. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Central heating has been used for a grand total of four days this winter. Otherwise, we use the woodburner if the mornings or evenings are chilly. As I'm on my own in the house all day I find I only light it before the others arrive home.
    Forecast for today is 20° so won't be needed unless OH is cold ( wimp ! )