1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do you timetable intervention groups?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stuffedcrust, Sep 1, 2011.

1. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

II'm lucky enough to have a great LSA this year who will be running intervention groups for me. I'm just having trouble when to timetable them! I need three Letters and Sounds groups. I'll be doing phase 5 with the majority of the class so one intervention group can run at the same time. Whenever I timetable the other sessions, they'll be missing something else I'm teaching!

Do we just accept that these children need to miss some areas to work on the important basics?

2. *whispers* during assembly, which, as we're a church school, is kind of a big deal.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I do mine before and after school and during assembly

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I usually try to negotiate with my ta that they will take a group or individuals for interventions while i'm doing an input and then they all rejoin us for the main activities. Because often what i'm teaching will be above the child needing the intervention anyway. It does however mean the poor ta has to flip her brain around quite quickly.

5. stuffedcrust

lillipad, when they rejoin you, do they have different activities to complete with the help of the LSA or do the same as the rest of the class?

6. I used to do quiet reading/changing books/sorting out kerfuffles on the playground/calming down time after lunch and groups would run then.

7. stuffedcrust

Yes, MisterFlibble I've put the Phase 2 group then too! Wasted time otherwise! lol Then I also have phase 3, 4 and 5 groups to fit in somehow without them missing too much of the other curriculum.

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well as I said, usually they wouldn't follow the main input anyway so would be doing something at their own level anyway. So would either be doing some sort of follow on independently from the intervention if there was anything, otherwise they'd either come and join in if it was, say writing, or they'd carry on with their own work at their level. (For one of my intervention children this may be as straight forward as colouring odd numbers on a hundred square)

If there was a whole group of them, I might take them across to one side, give them a quick talk, then a task based on the previous lesson they could do independently.