1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when do you teach sentence/word level?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Poltyrol, Jun 12, 2011.

1. We've been doing stand alone lessons up until now, following, I believe, the old National Strategy. A word lesson and a sentence lesson every week, and then 4 other text level lessons. No link into the units. It really doesn't work, although the children, oddly, like the lessons - they like just copying out sentences putting in a word or some punctuation - very strange in my opinion as I hated this sort of thing at school! But the point is that they don't seem to put any of it into their own writing, so we've just agreed a revamp - we're going to do it partially as M&O starters, and other then that as a previous poster suggested based on what mistakes they are all making! Much harder to have planning for the term though, so some colleagues not so convinced!!

2. This is my gripe with having to hand in medium term planning a term in advance. Where's the scope for AfL?
    I'd much rather be responsive and plan according to what is required at the time rather than plucking objectives out of the air 12 weeks in advance.
    I try and teach word/sentence level stuff so that it links closely with the genre or topic at the time and so that they have the chance to put it into practice in a meaningul way. I'm also a big fan of M/O starters in English. It means that if I teach a sentence type on Monday, I can revisit it quickly every day that week, and therefore after so much practice I expect to see it in some extended writing towards the end of the week.

3. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I agree with the previous two posters.
    Teaching text-specific word and sentence skills 'in context' - apposition / journalism; imperative verbs / instruction writing; active vs. passive voice / formal and impersonal unit.
    Tackling 'universal' word and sentence skills on a daily basis - akin to a mental oral starter. Punctuating sentences, generating complex sentences from given conjunctions, finding synonyms and antonyms for given words; choosing the writer homophone for a given sentence etc, etc .

4. for ideas on M and O starters try Jumpstart Literacy by Pie Corbett

5. Fab - I was just going to reply to ask if you had any good resources you would recommend! Will have a look at this