1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do you Plan your lessons?? At Home or at School?

Discussion in 'English' started by sebedina, Mar 13, 2011.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I work in an EBD school, so we have morning meetings and after school meetings each day so I get exhausted so can't plan lessons first thing in the morning or first thing after school. I find some of the KS3 schemes of work complicated as there are SO MANY "activities/worksheets or outcomes in each scheme of work for each lesson". So I get confused and I am finding I am not planning properly. We start off something then by the next week I have forgotten where we are with it and some kids get bored quickly or don't finish the task. etc...I also teach KS4 and am grappling with KS4 year 11s coursework.
    I get "swallowed up" with the tons of stuff on the SOWs so then I feel my lessons become inconsistent and not enjoyable as a result. To cap it all we have back to back lessons and duty rota during break etc. So I have "lost" myself in all this.
    Should I take the schemes of work home each evening and plan in 6 week blocks??? and photocopy resources for 6 week blocks rather than daily ?? Also sometimes our daily timetable changes when we have to cover other lessons (if other staff are sick etc)
    The school is trying to improve it's teaching and learning so there is pressure on me to deliver "inspirational and exciting" lessons.
    Any suggestions would be great!
    Many thanks

2. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I work in an EBD school, so we have morning meetings and after school meetings each day so I get exhausted so can't plan lessons first thing in the morning or first thing after school. I find some of the KS3 schemes of work complicated as there are SO MANY "activities/worksheets or outcomes in each scheme of work for each lesson". So I get confused and I am finding I am not planning properly. We start off something then by the next week I have forgotten where we are with it and some kids get bored quickly or don't finish the task. etc...I also teach KS4 and am grappling with KS4 year 11s coursework.
    I get "swallowed up" with the tons of stuff on the SOWs so then I feel my lessons become inconsistent and not enjoyable as a result. To cap it all we have back to back lessons and duty rota during break etc. So I have "lost" myself in all this.
    Should I take the schemes of work home each evening and plan in 6 week blocks??? and photocopy resources for 6 week blocks rather than daily ?? Also sometimes our daily timetable changes when we have to cover other lessons (if other staff are sick etc)
    The school is trying to improve it's teaching and learning so there is pressure on me to deliver "inspirational and exciting" lessons.
    Any suggestions would be great!
    Many thanks

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

In theory, I plan in the holiday for the forthcoming half term, but in reality, I only plan the first couple of weeks and an outline of the rest. I then 'tweak' as I go. Photocopying in advance is a huge timesaver for me, especially if I get Resources to do some.
    I would have thought that you have less marking than I do? This would be a big bonus for me as I don't mind planning but hate marking. I've never worked in a school with SOW planned for me but I would rather like that! I doubt I'd use them, but it must be a timesaver for those days when you need something quickly. Otherwise, can you use them as a guide and adapt so that they suit you better? Or do your own planning, if the SOW available are too unwieldy? If you must use what is provided, I would definitely plan in advance and file everything away for next time so that you can reuse or adapt for next time.
    Y11 coursework is always a nightmare this time of year but that'll be out of the way soon. Should you be covering for other teachers? Surely that should be 'rare' rather than expected?

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Good advice from Gloria, IMO
    I don't think EBD schools are excepted from 'rarely cover', so something odd going on there.

5. I am an NQT and follow the pattern that Gloria does. At the beginning of the year I could plan well ahead and tweak, but I've noticed I'm less inclined to plan as much during the holidays, so it's starting to creep up on me. I'm still far enough ahead not to have to panic though. I tend to plan in the evenings as I can do that in front of the telly. The marking, however, has to be done at school as I have too many of my own urchins to be able to concentrate enough at home.