1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do you move up the pay scale?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by studentfairy, May 13, 2020.

1. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

In NQT year now on M1, wondering when people usually get moved to M2? Should I be asking for it for September, or do you normally spend two years on M1? I know it depends on our headteacher and there's no rule but just wondering what is normal! Thank you!

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

It will depend on your school’s policy and your headteacher, this year mine didn’t move anyone up a band but gave us 2% on top of cost of living instead...which left everyone worse off than they would have been :mad:

In any case you won’t get a pay rise approved until you have your performance management, in September in my experience. The pay increase then has to be approved by the governors and you normally get it around Christmas pay check back dated until September. Then you can use all your back pay to buy Christmas presents!

studentfairy likes this.
  3. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

Thank you, Owleyes00! :)

4. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

In my school NQT’s were told that passing the NQT year and engaging in school wide CPD sessions is the performance management and on successful completion, we’d get moved up one scale for new year in September. It’s different for our RQT’s or higher up though.

5. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

You'll join your schools appraisal cycle in September after fi ishing your NQT year and they'll review your performance then to decide whether to move you up the ladder. If you do go up it'll often take effect around Christmas in your pay packet but backdated to September.

Or if you change schools and start a new job after your NQT year, they may offer you to start on M2 from September in your new job.

6. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

It may be best to ask your HR dept (point of contact the business manager) it's my understanding that if your school is operating under the stpcd ( the burgundy book) then in completion of your nqt year you automatically go to M2 further progression is due to your performance management targets after that.

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

You'll have a pay progression/appraisal policy so ask your head for it.