1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do you meet your new class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Msz, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I taught my next class 2 years ago so know them well. They are spending a morning a week with me from now until the end of term.

2. Ignore - I've just seen the other thread already about this [​IMG]

3. A morning a week? Wow, we usually get one hour or so

4. I cant help but think - important as transition is - that spending a morning a week with your new class now is a bit counter productive to education. Surely those mornings would be better spent with your old class filling in gaps in their learning and giving them a final boost before the end of the year.
    I suppose if you are using those mornings productively with your new class its OK, but if theyre just transitional and getting to know you mornings it seems a bit of a waste of time.

I will be taking most of my class up to Y2 with me, but we will have a new class afternoon at some point. Our SEN kids that needs extra transition go for short daily visits with a TA.

5. I suppose one positive is that when September arrives and you already know them you can crack straight on, as opposed to spending time writing where they went during the summer, and how many cousins they have and all that other 'All About Me' malarkey.

6. Msz

It's not for transition I'm giving my new class a boost in literacy before the end of the yearbecause they are behind.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd love a morning a week with my new class until the end of term.

However I get about an hour and a half on Friday morning.

Might be able to pop in to read stories or something a few times between now and then end of term, but that means persuading their year 1 teacher to look after my year 6s...not easy!

8. Msz

Do your Y6s have a transition week when they visit their secondary?

9. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I think Msz is actually teaching her new class for a morning a week as opposed to just meeting them. I'm teaching my new class for one afternoon a week and have done all year but that's because I'm a PPA teacher at the moment and they are one of the classes I cover. They don't know I'm going to be their teacher next year.

10. Msz

Yes I'm teaching the class

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A WEEK? Nooo just a day. And it is the same day for all three of the main secondaries near us and so is our transition morning as well.

12. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

All the year 6's from all the primaries in the area visit their high schools a week Thurs and Fri. On one of those days all the classes move up to visit their new class for a morning. We do a bit of getting to know you, make first impressions, answer any questions they have and send home a note telling parents what their children could bring in for the next year.
    I am glad it is only half a day. I have enough to still get done with my class.